We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Boston to Amherst - best route

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dunedin, New Zealand
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
driving from Boston to Amherst - best route

Hi there,

I know there is a forum on this already, but it's pretty old so I wanted to check again to see if there was any update to what people recommended. We're arriving early Sunday morning at Logan airport, renting a car, spending the day in Boston and then making our way to Amherst for a conference until Wed at lunch when we return to Boston, drop the car at the airport, take the T to downtown and then Amtrak to New York for 3 days. So, what would route would people recommend from downtown Boston to Amherst and then from Amherst to Logan airport?

Also, quite keen for any recommendations on things to do for only an afternoon in Boston.

Thanks!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,511 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Boston to Amherst - best route

90-West (Massachusetts Turnpike) to 9-West

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Boston to Amherst - best route

Sunday afternoon: The Freedom Trail.

You can park your rental at The Boston Common Garage for $12. Visit the Visitor Center at The Boston Common to orient you to the city, the state and the trail. The Freedom Trail "starts" from here.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Boston to Amherst - best route

Either 90 West to 91 North (Exit 4) to Route 9 to Amherst (longest but major highways)

or

90 West to Exit 8 and then 32 North to 9 West to Amherst - shorter but it is more scenic. This is the route I would take when at UMass

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from Boston to Amherst - best route

Just wondering? are you ultimately leaving from Boston? Then I would go from Amherst to NY and then return to BOS instead of backtracking to catch train to NY. If you don't want car in NY, then you could still take train from Hartford to NYC and back which allows you to not go out of your way at all.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from Boston to Amherst - best route

Returning the rental car to Boston before going to NYC makes perfect sense.

Agree with the Freedom Trail rec. It's not just a stuffy history tour. It weaves through interesting and vibrant neighborhoods and Boston is a great walking city.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from Boston to Amherst - best route

I agree with the recommendation for 90 west to exit 8. From there I'd take Route 32 south for a mile or so into Palmer, then U. S. 20 west for a few downtown blocks, and then a right on Route 181 into Belchertown. Continue north through Belchertown center; the route number changes to U S. 202. Take that a short way to the intersection with Route 9, just north of Belchertown center, then follow Route 9 into Amherst. For a scenic variation on Route 9, turn left on Bay Road after only about 1 mile on Route 9. Follow Bay road to South East St, Amherst, or to West St (Route 116), and then north into Amherst Center.

Boston...
Level Contributor
530 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from Boston to Amherst - best route

I lived in Amherst for 4 years. I agree with #3.

Take the Mass Pike (I-90 West) to exit 8. At the exit, turn right on Thorndike St (Rt 32 S). Stay for about a mile before turning right on North Main St (Rt 20 W). North Main will continue into Rt 181. Continue on Rt 181 through Belchertown center where it merges into Rt 202. After a mile or two, take Rt 9 W going to Amherst.

Pay close attention to your speed. I've seen a lot of tickets being handed out.

8. Re: driving from Boston to Amherst - best route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 05:17