We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire (Picking up in Boston to drive to Cape Cod)

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Car Hire (Picking up in Boston to drive to Cape Cod)

We are a family of 4 staying in Boston at the end of August for around 4 days and then need to hire a car to go to Cape Cod (6 days) and then Rhode Island (3 Days). We would are staying near Boston common, so would want to pick up near there the day we leave for Cape Cod and then ideally drop off at (or very close) to the airport on our return to Boston when we fly home.

Should we book before we arrive in Boston, and where is the best place to hire that we can pick up near Boston common and then drop off at the airport?

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
588 Reviews
from US$94.50*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
697 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,048 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Tour of Historic Fenway Park...
40 Reviews
from US$25.00*
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire (Picking up in Boston to drive to Cape Cod)

For domestic (i.e. in the USA) car rentals I usually start by looking on www.aaa.com (and then end up renting through CostCo) but on that website you can experiment with different scenarios.

It looks like you could pick up the car at 30 Park Plaza with Hertz and drop it off at the airport but I suspect you can get better deals by picking up and dropping off at the airport, simply because you'll have more choices. The airport is no distance at all from downtown Boston so it would probably make more sense to just go get the car at the airport, but you can figure that out. :-)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire (Picking up in Boston to drive to Cape Cod)

After years of getting rental cars in Boston I can say that you will save quite a lot if you can rent in the neighborhoods of Boston and not have to pay all the airport fees and taxes. Ones to check on would start with Enterprise and Budget. Pick up 'in the neighborhood' and return it there then take a taxi to Logan.

I like to make a reservation to lock in a rate without paying for it which is typical and then continue shopping for bargains closer in. My target price is about $25/day for a compact or mid-sized car plus taxes/fees. Hope this is helpful to you.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire (Picking up in Boston to drive to Cape Cod)

Many thanks for the replies will have a look into both options

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: Car Hire (Picking up in Boston to drive to Cape Cod)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 05:17