We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon South of Boston

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon South of Boston

After a few days in the city, my sister is attending a concert at Foxboro stadium, she will be there from 2pm-10pm leaving myself and my dad to amuse ourselves for the afternoon - where would you recommend close by?

Is there anywhere nice to walk? Any interesting must see areas?

We don't want to head to far as once we pick her up we are driving on to Cape Cod!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon South of Boston

There is plenty of things to do at Patriot Place a where the concert is being held. (I am assuning the concert is at Gillette Stadium?) There is a nice but very short Cranberry Bog Trail.

A movie theater with Lux Level. I assume since you are from the UK that American Football would not interest you, but if it did, there is The Hall - a museum about American Football and the New England Patriots.

5 Wits - an interactive (a bit tacky) attraction.

Lots of restaurants and shopping. I really love the Lobster Pizza at CBS Scene.

The bad news is that Route 1 is a mess on concert days and getting in or out of Patriots Place can be a nightmare :(

Another option is to visit Providence, RI while your sister is a the concert.

Enjoy!

Edited: 15 June 2013, 15:41
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon South of Boston

The Wrentham Outlets are near Foxboro stadium. Not everyone's cup of tea, but many seek them out.

Providence is another thought.

About an hour away is also Horseneck Beach. Very pretty. www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/hbch.htm

Boston...
Level Contributor
416 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon South of Boston

I would say staying at Patriot Place which is in the same parking lot would be a good bet. As mentioned, there's a lot of different things to do there with a lot of shopping, restaurants, bars, and movies. Wrentham Village Outlets is also just a few minutes down the road, but is mostly outlet shopping.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon South of Boston

Patriot Place is the ideal place to go.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon South of Boston

2-10 is an odd time.

How about Battle Ship Cove in fall River : www.battleshipcove.com/visitors.asp#hours?

You'd get there about 2:30 and it closes at 5.

You could drive to Providence - maybe walk around Brown, and dinner on Federal Hill or maybe downtown? Something like the Old Canteen, Baccaro or Capriccio's for something upscale. Perhaps they'll have a Water Fire - which is a nice street festival? http://waterfire.org/

Another alternative would be Plimoth Plantation: www.plimoth.org/plan-your-visit/hours-prices then dinner around Plymouth.

The distances are not far.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon South of Boston

Are you dropping her off at a concert and then picking her up once it is over? With the 2-10 timeframe, are you talking about CountryFest with Kenny Chesney?

If you are, you may want to amend your plans a bit. That is the biggest show at Gillette all summer and the traffic before and after the show will be absolutely horrible. I'm also not certain if Gillette has a designated pick up/drop off area.

7. Re: Afternoon South of Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 05:16