We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report June 13-16

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Trinity, NC
Level Contributor
46 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report June 13-16

My first trip to Boston started Thursday, June 13 from Charlotte Douglas Airport. Our flight was about 45 minutes delayed, but my daughter and I still got to Boston by 12:45 in the afternoon. I had decided (with your help at TA) to take the T to the hotel. It was no trouble to get to the South Station to the Park Street Station exit and after a very short walk we arrived at the Nine Zero. By now it was about 2:15, and our room was ready. I cannot say enough to make sure to join whatever club a hotel you are interested in has available. I had decided I really wanted to stay at the Nine Zero, so I joined the Kimpton Club. While I was waiting and watching LMT and Hotwire for a deal, Kimpton sent an email to me about a summer special for Thursday - Sunday stays that started at $189. That was just what I wanted and less than I had seen almost ANY hotel! I made my reservation immediately. When I checked in I was upgraded to a room with 2 beds on the 14th floor. It was so nice! It needed to be a little higher to get a view over the building beside of us (we were looking at the top of the building), but we did not hear any street noise, and we could see the church steeple of Park Street Church. It was a great deal! The Nine Zero was perfect for walking to all the historical sites.

By now we were getting hungry and it was raining, so we went next door to the Beantown Pub. I had a turkey sandwich, and my daughter had Fish and Chips. It was very enjoyable watching the people there, because it reminded me of Cheers. A lot of the people there seemed to be regulars, as they were greeted by their names when they came in. The food was good, and we hit the T again to go to the Science Museum for our Duck Tour. When we went inside to check in, we were told the Charles River had been closed to the "ducks" for the rest of the day, so we were rescheduled for the next morning at 11:00. Since it was almost time for the museum to close, and I noticed it stayed open late on Friday nights, we decided to come back on Friday night to the Science Museum.

By now it was raining, so we hit the T to Copley Square. We were very moved by the memorial to the bombing victims on Boylston Street. We looked at the tortoise and the hare and Trinity Church (they had just closed to visitors), and decided to walk to Newbury Street. Even though it was raining, we enjoyed window shopping. We walked to 2nd Time Around to see if we could find any bargains, but it was still too expensive for us! My daughter is a huge Forever 21 fan, and I had read on TA that there was one on Newbury Street that was on 4 floors. We walked until we found it, and my daughter was in 16 year old heaven! It took about an hour before I got her out, but since it was raining outside, it was good to be inside somewhere. We took the T back to Park Street, and since we had eaten about 3:30, we wanted to get something sweet. It was after 9:00, so we walked up Tremont Street to Black Seed Café and shared a big piece of carrot cake. It was delicious!

It was still raining, so we went back to the Nine Zero and called it a night. I will report on day 2 tomorrow......

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report June 13-16

Nice report--looking forward to more! Sorry the weather wasn't so cooperative.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report June 13-16

The Beantown is very handy for you! I like it too. Lovely report. Enjoy.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report June 13-16

Great start. Looking forward to reading more.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report June 13-16

Thanks for the report. Glad is see you didn't let the rain get you down and you found the T easy to use.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report June 13-16

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to the next installment.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report June 13-16

Thanks for the TR.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report June 13-16

You are off to a great start! Looking forward to more!

Edited: 17 June 2013, 16:37
Boston...
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report June 13-16

Looking forward to your nest installment because yesterday was good weather, but today is spectacular! Hope you are enjoying Boston!

Trinity, NC
Level Contributor
46 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report June 13-16

Day two - Because of the prediction of rain, we decided to do the museums today. My daughter wanted to go to the aquarium and the science museum, so after a bagel and sweet tea (thank you, Dunkin Donuts for sweet tea!), we took the T to the Science Museum for our 11:00 Duck Tour. We had a blast with the tour and the corny jokes! Even though it was backtracking, because the Science Museum stayed open until 9:30 tonight, I suggested going to the aquarium next. We boarded the T and went to the aquarium. We have been to several aquariums, and I know this one will open new exhibits in July, but we still really enjoyed it. We got to watch the seals and sea lions do a training session, which was great.

I forgot to say that it had stopped raining completely by about 11:00, so the weather was wonderful! I suggested we walk up Atlantic Avenue to the North End when we left the aquarium about 3:00. Because of TA, I had researched everything, and when I saw Hanover Street, we made a right onto it. We strolled down the street, looking at menus, and decided on Cantina Italiana. My daughter ordered Ravioli di Ricotta and I had the Pollo Marsala, along with a very fresh, warm basket of bread. It was delicious! My daughter commented on the quality of the olive oil for the bread, and she is only 16!

Of course we HAD to leave room for a cannoli, and since we were on the side of the street that passed Mike's, we went in there. There was a crowd in front of the place, but they were just standing, eating, and talking, so we walked straight in! We wanted to try it all, but we settled on a regular cannoli, a chocolate chip cannoli, a chocolate covered cannoli, and a lobster tail. We ate some of each one and saved the rest for later.

Since we were stuffed, we walked to the Science Museum, arriving about 4:45. We bought tickets for the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit and went there first. We were so awed to see these artifacts from Israel that we had studied about in church all our lives. Even thought the Science Museum seems geared toward smaller kids, we both really enjoyed it. We stayed until about 8:30, and used the T to get back to the Nine Zero. I could not eat any more pastries, because I was still stuffed! My daughter said she was going to finish hers, and she gave it a valiant effort, but it was just too much!

This was a GREAT day. One thing I might mention for future visitors to Boston - I went to Groupon and Living Social and bought half-price Duck Tour tickets. I also bought a Go Boston card on Living Social (1 day, I wish they had been 2 days, but that was not an option) for half-price for both of us. I used it today, so the 2 Museums were free with this card, and even though I did not use the trolley tour today, I picked up the Beantown Trolley ticket today, since it was free with my card, and they give you 2 consecutive days use of the trolley, so we could use it tomorrow. WOW, that was a long sentence, but if you have any questions about it, just ask!

Needless to say, the very comfortable beds at the Nine Zero felt great after a busy day.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,883 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report June 13-16

Wonderful TR so far.