We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

Near Springfield...
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Topic
Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

I am starting the process of booking a long weekend in Boston over the marathon weekend in April 2014. I have to book my hotel room now for the marathon, to make sure I have a place close to the finish line. :)

We are considering flying in on Friday, spend Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday doing some sightseeing. I'll run on Monday, and we'll fly out Tuesday evening. I'm booking a hotel close to the finish line for race day. But considered staying on the outskirts somewhere if it's cheaper on the other nights. But we want to be close to other attractions, so I don't even know where to begin to look. We may have our 2 young kids with us (9 & 6 by then). Hubby LOVES history. I just want to run the marathon. ;)

Any thoughts on where to get me started? Hotels? Eating? Sightseeing? We've never been to the area at all, so what are the sights not to be missed? Sorry I can't be more specific, as I don't even know what's out there. :)

Thank you!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

The marathon finishes in Back Bay, but Boston is compact so staying anywhere in the area, Kenmore, Downtown/Theater District, and Waterfront, are all a very short T ride or a bit of a walk away.

Since there are 4 of you, perhaps you may want to look at apartments. VRBO is one site with apartments. Take a look and ask us about locations. Don't use craigslist and never wire money to an "owner."

Good luck with your marathon training!

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

Any of the hotels in the Copley Square area would be a good choice.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,475 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

I'll re-iterate that Boston is compact. Any hotel that is "close to other attractions" is also close to the finish line. You can walk or take the T (with hoards of other sweaty runners in silver blankets).

Hotels that will be less expensive that weekend will not be in locations close to attractions. You could consider getting something

Switching hotels on race day could be tricky. Your family will need to move your stuff and get checked into the hotel. When do you expect to finish? Check-in time is usually 3:00 pm.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

Let me back up Christnp2's "Boston is compact" with numbers because we are not the typical sprawling city.

What most visitors think of as Boston is three miles long and 2 miles wide. This will take you from Fenway to the Coast Guard station in the North End and from the Intercontinental Hotel on the Waterfront to the Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown. If you stop at North Station don't cross over into Charlestown the tourist area is just one mile wide.

This does not count the non-tourist areas and the "Seaport" convention area but there would be no reason for someone here to enjoy the city and the marathon to be in those areas.

As long as you choose lodgings in the historic heart of the city, most runners should be able to walk anywhere they want to go. If you use our MBTA mass transit system, you can get places faster and have more time to do the things on your Boston bucket list.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Edited: 18 June 2013, 12:27
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

The Lenox and The Charlesmark are the closest hotels to the finish line but I am sure you would be happy at any of the hotels in the Copey area. (The Sheraton, Marriott Copley, The Westin, Copley Plaza, Copley Courtyard etc.)

Near Springfield...
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

I've booked the Westin Copley Place. Now...what to see and where to eat for the 3 days I'm there ahead of time???

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

If you click on the tab "Things to Do" above it will get you started. Most folks walk the Freedom Trail, take a Duck Tour or a Trolley Tour. The kids might like the Museum of Science (in Cambridge but easy to get to on the subway) or the Children's Museum. You can also tour Fenway Park. As the date gets closer the BAA will also have stuff on their website including a bus tour of the course which can be helpful for those who haven't run it before.

As for eating out, you'll probably want to do your carbo-loading in the North End, a neighborhood filled with Italian restaurants, bakeries and groceries.

Waterville, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

My son is running the 2014 Boston Marathon and we were waiting to make sure he can register before booking a hotel. I am sure this is a mistake, but we don't want to have a huge bill and not be able to go. What is a manageable distance to stay from the shuttles to the start of the race. We are worried we won't be able to get him to the start, after all his hard work to qualify. We considered staying out at the start but I hear that the only sure way to get to the starting line is to use the shuttles from Boston Commons. Doe anyone have any insight into this?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

Yes. There are zillions of school busses traveling in caravans on Marathon morning between Boston Common and Hopkinton, where the race starts 26 miles to the west. He will get that information at registration time. It's the most practical way for him to get there. You can greet him at the Finish Line in Boston.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 00:15
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston Marathon Weekend 2014

You're better off staying in Boston and having your son take the provided shuttles to the starting line. Make a reservation now that you can cancel without a penalty, just in case.