We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few random Boston queries

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
A few random Boston queries

Hi,

firstly sorry, im sure you've answered all of these many times, ive had a good browse and am a little confused , mainly around hotel choices (Sorry!) i have two windows to come over to Boston, end of Feb next year or end of April (Feb is the pref so far as flights are cheaper and easier to get time off work)

Ill be coming over for 4/5 nights and my main driver for coming is around the historical side (freedom trail etc) So i'm looking for a hotel thats around this location. Price would be anywhere up to $150 a night.

I'll be coming solo from the UK so anywhere with some decent bars would go down well too...though the main point for me is location and the ability to walk to as much as possible (i love walking so am happy to walk decent distances)

Any suggestions?

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few random Boston queries

Here is a good website for locating and comparing hotels in Boston.

hotelguides.com/massachusetts/map-boston-ma-…

However I think that you will need to raise your upper limit on how much you plan to spend for a hotel. That number is very low for any hotel in the city proper.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few random Boston queries

Look at the Omni Parker House or any hotels near there.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few random Boston queries

If you want to walk around and do the Freedom Trail, you'd be MUCH happier coming at the end of April than the end of February. The end of February can be the snowiest, most stormy part of the winter here. Of course, there's no guarantee and the weather could be sunny cold and dry as well. But, you could be getting here just in time for a blizzard, which would put a damper on your ability to walk around comfortably. It's just something to think about. That's why the flights etc. are cheaper then.

As far as your price range, you might possibly be able to find that price in late February, as a special deal online. You'd need to wait until much closer to your departure date, though. If any sales were going to be offered for Feb 2014, you probably won't see them until after the New Year. I should warn you though, that $150/night is a very, very low price for a hotel downtown near where you'd want to be, and it will be a tough call to find that. Even tougher at the end of April, though.

Here are some hotels to keep an eye on:

Omni Parker House

Marriott Customs House

Nine Zero

Ames

Millenium Bostonian

Marriott Long Wharf

Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill

Boxer Boston Hotel

Onyx Hotel

Liberty Hotel

If you don't mind "budget" accommodations that might be in your price range in Feb:

Midtown Hotel

John Jeffries House

Oasis Guest House

These are just suggestions to get you started. Any hotel in Boston Back Bay, Beacon Hill, North End or Quincy Market area will be good for what you want.

As far as bars, if you stay near Quincy Market (Marriott Long Wharf, Customs House, Ames, Parker House, Bostonian), or near North Station (Onyx, Boxer, Wyndham), you will be in "stumbling distance" of a huge range of sports bars, Irish pubs, etc.

To find "deals", you should try and join (for free), www.travelzoo.com and sign up for their email notifications. Also, if you are coming solo, Priceline or Hotwire Name your own Price bidding would probably work very well for you.

uk
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few random Boston queries

Thanks for the advice, it seems I have rather miscalculated on my budget for a hotel then! So will have to have a good look about . Appreciate the other tips and will look out for some of those hotels listed.

uk
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A few random Boston queries

Just having a quick look at package prices as it may be cheaper, two of the hotels coming up both in the back Bay Area are the Boston park plaza or the doubletree Hilton...are either any good?

I could probably stretch to the omni Parker house if not

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few random Boston queries

Both those hotels have been mentioned here quite a few times so I would assume they're good. Check out the reviews for yourself and see what you think. I just wanted to reiterate that you should definitely come in April as opposed to February.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few random Boston queries

The Park Plaza is fine. I don't know anything about the Doubletree, but Hilton properties are never going to be terrible.

I would add the Harborside Inn to BeantownMan's list. Fantastic location, and a very nice place.

I think the odds of finding a good bargain on Priceline (Name Your own Price) or Hotwire for a February visit are excellent, especially since you have no concerns about number/size of beds. As a matter of fact, I just went to Priceline.com, plugged in February 17 for check-in and February 23 for check-out, and the Harborside Inn came up at the top of the list at $139 (note that this was not the Name Your Own Price technique, which I have used many times with great success).

Editing to add that while I don't disagree with those who say that April is preferable to February--almost any time is preferable to February--in April you still have a decent chance of awful weather; and in fact, in late February you have a decent chance of okay weather. Your chances of really nice weather are much greater in April, but it's far from being a given.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 18:49
uk
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A few random Boston queries

Thanks again for all the help, I've got a good idea what to look at now.

I understand what people have said about the dates, I'd prefer to go in feb and realise it'll be cold, possibly snowy which is fine...though I'd be worried about flight disruption etc!.....April/may is unsurprisingly more expensive...a lot more expensive.....so it's just trying to decide whether that cost saving is worth the risk!

Cheers guys, really appreciate the feedback

Quick edit, last week in feb/first week in March is still in the inexpensive category, so could do that

Edited: 18 June 2013, 18:53
Scranton...
Level Contributor
72 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few random Boston queries

The Park Plaza has petite rooms which you might be able to get a great deal on. Since you're traveling alone, they're quite small with only a full bed, but it might be perfect for you. The Park Plaza is an older hotel, so the walls are a bit thin (maybe pack earplugs) but it is beautiful and about a block away from The Common and a short walk away from other attractions. Happy planning!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few random Boston queries

April and May are busy. You have the Boston Marathon in April, which people attend from all over the world. May is a very busy month for graduations. With all the colleges here in Boston, that makes May arguably the busiest month hotel-wise.