We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic foliage day trip by train from Boston, MA

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Scenic foliage day trip by train from Boston, MA

Hi all,

I am looking for a little help\advice around organising a day trip by train to see the beautiful fall foliage that New England is so famous for. My wife and my Mother in law are heading out there in October and wish to do the trip by train to celebrate her 70th birthday. Any help and advice would be gratefully recieved.

Regards

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic foliage day trip by train from Boston, MA

The first question is where are they planning to start from? Assumption is Boston.

The second question is what dates are they there?

Here is a link to a peak foliage map.

yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/

It's not an exact science, "peak" may vary by a week or so, but the good news is that "peak" is not a day but more extended. "Peak" is also a bit subjective. "Early" will have more full trees w/leaves beginning to turn. "Late" will still have a lot of color but also a lot of leaves having already fallen. Reality is that you have at least aq 2 week span where color is magnificent in a given area of New England. And then it does vary by altitude and by species of tree. Of course a huge windy rain storm can put a damper on it all.

All that said, "peak" in the Boston area is around the 2nd to 3rd week of October.

I'm not an expert on all the trains, but I know there are trains to Portland Maine and Newburyport Mass and other coastal locations. THe problem is that the best foliage will not be found on the coast but more inland and certainly in the mountains.

If your wife and MIL are really looking for the best foliage, really the best answer might be to rent a car and drive into the White Mountains of New Hampshire. And do that in the first or 2nd week of October.

THe mountains are appx a 3 hr drive away and mostly highway (assuming concerns about driving on the right).

Best idea would be to plan to spend a night or a few in the mountains. 1st-2nd week of October should provide absolutely the most vivid foliage they've ever seen. If renting a car is out of the question, then surely a train ride to Portland or somewhere will give you color. Also just staying put in Boston and enjoying some of the greenspace and parks in town would be very colorful as well.

FWIW,

Kevin

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic foliage day trip by train from Boston, MA

Google "foliage bus tour from Boston". Not much train service in New England.

Boston...
Level Contributor
558 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic foliage day trip by train from Boston, MA

Foliage train from Boston- not really. You would be better of taking a bus tour, as thomas144 mentioned.

If you get get to New Hampshire, then you could take an old fashioned train: www.foliagetrains.com

Lincoln, NH is usually at peak during the first week of october

Burnley, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic foliage day trip by train from Boston, MA

Hi Kevin - Did you make a decision? I was just looking at doing exactly the same when I came across your post! I am travelling from the UK.

There is a train to Ipswich which seems to be mentioned as being on the Fall Colours route. See massvacation.com/explore/…

Anyone recommend staying there and doing walking tours?

Thanks

Janet

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic foliage day trip by train from Boston, MA

Janet, I don't see anything about trains on the link you posted.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic foliage day trip by train from Boston, MA

That link describes driving routes to Ipswich, not trains. There is a commuter train that goes to Ipswich, but I'm not sure how much foliage there is to see along the train route.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic foliage day trip by train from Boston, MA

I'm also interested in this topic, as I'll be in Boston this October for a few days before joining a bus group going to Provincetown.

Since we won't have a car while in Boston, can you recommend particular greenspaces around town with especially pretty Fall foliage? We're staying on Newbury St., plan to do the Freedom Trail, Harvard Square, and whatever else we can fit in. Does Harvard/Cambridge have pretty trees? Somehow I picture it that way ...

8. Re: Scenic foliage day trip by train from Boston, MA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 05:17