We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

I enjoyed reading all the trip reports while I was planning my trip, so I thought I'd write one too. Warning- it's a little long!

A little bit of back story- We flew into Boston very early on 6/21, but our hotel was in Providence, so on 6/22 we were in Newport and on 6/23 we were in Martha's Vineyard. We returned to Boston on 6/24 as we had a late evening flight out of Logan.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

Boston June 21st

We arrived in Boston about 9:30 a.m. after barely any sleep. We had to leave for the airport at 4:30 if we wanted to make our flight and it was game 7 of the NBA Finals the night before, but nevertheless we were ready for our day.

We picked up our rental car and headed straight to downtown. We parked our car for the day and off we went. When we came out of the parking garage we were right in front of Quincy Market. By now we were starving and I had read on TA that this was a great place to eat. There were tons of choices. It was like a mall food court, but with much better food. We ended up getting a lobster roll combo at Boston and Maine Fish Co. It was delicious! The combo was about $17 and it came with chips and a soda. Next door there was an Asian place, so we added 2 egg rolls which were also very good for about $3 for both.

Now it was time to start the freedom trail. This is what we most wanted to do, since we are both history buffs. So we made our way to Boston Common and started from there. We did about 1/2 of it when I started to get tired. We wanted to do the Duck Tour, so I suggested we do it earlier rather than later. My husband suffers from motion sickness so we opted for a hop on hop off trolley tour. That way we can hop off if he started to feel bad- which he did almost immediately. He stuck through it until about the 8th stop which was around the Public Gardens. This place is beautiful. By far my favorite part of my day. We sat on a bench for a while and watched the swan boats. We didn't ride them, but it looked really nice. Had our girls been on this trip I would have definitely done it.

Next we got off the trail and explored Newbury /Back Bay Area. I loved this area. It was less crowded and didn't feel touristy. We just walked around and imagined what it might feel like to live here. Somehow our walking led us by chance to the Boston Public Library. We went in and took in the fabulous architecture. We walked around some more and ended up at the memorial for the victims of the marathon bombings. We took a moment to reflect and pay our respects. I heard on the news that the city was taking the stuff down this week.

We decided to try the trolley again, since I was still missing the Paul Revere house and the North end. It took us to stop 1, which is by the pier, and then we were told we had to switch trolleys. We got off explored the area and decided to walk the rest of the way. We found Paul Revere's house and by now we were starving again. We wanted to eat at Regina's Pizzeria, which we did. It did not disappoint! We ordered a large pizza with spinach, cherry tomatoes, and garlic oil. It was amazing. It's a tiny place with plenty of character and our waitress couldn't have been nicer.

By now it was about 6:00 pm and we were tired so we found our car, which cost us $40 to park for the day, and left Boston. We were staying in Providence, RI.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

Boston June 24th

Today we head back home. We had what was supposed to be a 7:30 pm flight out of Logan (that's a whole other story). We decided to see some of what we were missing from Boston. We packed, had breakfast at our hotel in Providence and headed out about 10:30. We drove around Providence for a little bit and then it was back to Boston.

We decided to head towards Fenway Park. My husband is a huge baseball fan and it's his dream to visit all of the stadiums. Unfortunately the Red Sox were away this weekend, so we booked the stadium tour. I really liked the area around Fenway it was really lively. We decided to have lunch before the tour. The time was tight as it was a bit after 12 and the tour was at 1. We ate at a sports bar nearby called Game On. I had a chicken sandwich and the hubby had a chili burrito. Both were good and we spent about $40. Now it was off to the tour.

The tour is an hour long and takes you through all of the stadium. You sit in the oldest seats, go on top of the green monster, sit in the press box (this was great since the day was scorching got!) then you finish in right field where the furthest home run in Fenway was hit. All the while getting all of the Red Sox history. I'm not a huge baseball fan and I enjoyed it. My husband was over the moon. He was like a little kid. They take a picture of you when you walk in and sell it to you on the way out. It was $36 for a package.

Then we were off to Harvard Square. We decided to do a drive thru of this area since it was already 2:30 and I wanted to head out about 5:30. On a future trip I would definitely want to see this area more thoroughly. It had a fun vibe to it. We drove around it twice so that I could have a good look. Now it was back to downtown.

Thanks to a tip from a garage attendant we were able to find metered parking on Milk Street and paid about $2 for 2 hours of parking. In the garage 2 hours would've been $36. I still can't get over how expensive parking is in Boston. We headed straight to the Faneuil Hall area as I wanted to buy some souvenirs. We stopped in at Quincy Market for a snack. I had a cannoli which was amazing and my husband had a tiramisu with an iced mocha from The North End Bakery. We sat on a bench outside and people watched while we ate. We then wandered around aimlessly through the city. We ended up by the harbor, we walked through the North End and just through empty streets until it was time to come back home. Sigh- our vacation is over for now. But in 2 days we head to NY, this time with our girls, so the journey continues.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

Sounds like you had a great day and saw a lot. I loved the interesting combination of rolls you had for lunch - lobster and egg! Looking forward to the next installment.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,313 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

The Mr. & I are doing a long weekend in Newport followed by a week in Boston, so I really enjoyed reading your trip report and hope you did one for your time in Newport as well!

You managed to do a lot in the time you were in Boston. All I can say is if you enjoyed the cannoli in Quincy Market, you would have loved the cannolis @ Maria's. In 2008 the Mr. and I had a cannoli at Maria's and later tried to duplicate the delicious experience with one from Quincy Market and it was an epic fail. Perhaps we just chose the wrong vendor.....

I hope you and your family have an amazing time in NY!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,411 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

Great trip report. Sounds like things went well for you. Thanks for taking the time to write it up

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,809 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

Glad you had a great visit here and yes parking is very expensive thanks for your TR.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

Thank you all for reading my report!

Teacher, I wish I would've tried the cannoli from Maria's. I'm used to the ones here in Miami which aren't very good, so the one from Quincy Market tasted great to me, lol.

I guess this is one more reason to plan a return trip :)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

Hope you do make it back sometime! Thanks for reporting. How long did the drive take you from Providence to Boston and were you ok with driving in the city?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

Thanks everyone for reading my report!

The drive from Providence to Boston was about an hour maybe a little less. It takes me that long to get to work sometimes with traffic so we didn't mind it.

Driving in Boston wasn't bad. We're used to driving in Miami which isn't much better. What was confusing for us was the street parking. We weren't sure which places we could park because we would see tow away signs on a lot of the meters, but we asked. The people of Boston couldn't have been nicer.

I will definitely return as soon as my youngest is a little older (she's 3) we'll plan a return trip with them.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report- 6/21 & 6/24

Thanks everyone for reading my report!

The drive from Providence to Boston was about an hour maybe a little less. It takes me that long to get to work sometimes with traffic so we didn't mind it.

Driving in Boston wasn't bad. We're used to driving in Miami which isn't much better. What was confusing for us was the street parking. We weren't sure which places we could park because we would see tow away signs on a lot of the meters, but we asked. The people of Boston couldn't have been nicer.

I will definitely return as soon as my youngest is a little older (she's 3) we'll plan a return trip with them.