We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

Hi, we are (family with 2 teen boys) coming for college visit this weekend.There are Amherst,Brown,RISD,MIT.It would be very appreciated of your inputs for our 3 days stay.

The 3.5 stars + is good in our budget range.Hopefully we can use this as family vacation as well.

Thanks!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

You're going to be doing a lot of running around. None of those colleges are really near each other, except for Brown and RISD. Providence is about an hour drive south from Cambridge, where MIT is located. Amherst is located in Western Massachusetts, about two hours from Cambridge to the west. Since two of the schools are in Rhode Island, maybe that's the place to stay. The alternative would be to stay more central, but where none of the schools are located, which would be like Sturbridge, Mass. I think RI makes more sense. Normally, I would ask what else you plan on seeing or doing, but in three days that's ALL you're going to be doing is visiting schools. Can you perhaps stay a little longer and actually see some of the areas?

Edited: 28 June 2013, 11:16
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

I might even consider a night the Amherst area. I assume you will have a car.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,516 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

I agree with Alan on staying in Rhode Island since two of the colleges are located there. I would definitely see those two in one day and then do Amherst another day and MIT another day.

Somerville
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

The student lead tours at MIT are Monday through Friday at 11:00 am and 3:00 pm. But you can get an app from MIT for either an iPhone or an Android phone, which includes a tour as well as other useful items.

web.mit.edu/institute-events/events/tour.html

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

I agree with the suggestions above. Parking near Brown and RISD is pretty tight, though the summer should be better than the school year. There are downtown hotels that are within walking distance to the campuses. In addition to the campuses, explore Wickenden St.. You'll certainly explore Thayer St. as it borders the Brown campus. For dinner, Federal Hill has several nice Italian restaurants, though downtown and along the river does too. Check and see if there is a Water Fire while you are there.http://waterfire.org/schedule/2013-waterfire-event-schedule/

If you stay in Providence, you can take the commuter rail to Boston - into South Station with a direct subway line (the Red line) to MIT. Hotels in Providence will be cheaper than Boston. Also, it'll give the kids a taste of commuting in the northeast.

All are good schools...can't go wrong with any of them. FWIW my middle child just graduated from Brown and loved it. We were very happy with the education and experience she had, too. The kids we've met have all been down to earth, interesting and very nice and excited individuals.

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

Thank you so much for all of your helps here!Its really lovely!i guess we should stay in Provdence instead of Boston.Thanks to bamayakee for all those Points of interest and restaurant,will def.check about it!Thanks to PhilUnionSquare for the tips in downloading app!Alan,thanks for giving me more idea of the driving distance and I can have a better picture on the map!My boy love literature art and history,hope we can enjoy the depth of the culture!thanks!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

Though Providence is logistically convenient, it is not the best choice for the rest of your time. Are you hoping to have spare time to just enjoy the immediate area around your hotel?

With your itinerary, it might make sense to stay in different hotels each night.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

God bless you. Talk about the California laid-back stereotype. I can't believe you're figuring this out the day before you leave! You aren't going to have much time to do much of anything except travel to and visit schools. Hope you have a nice trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

Pkong-forget logic and stay in Boston or Cambridge. You will and your boys will enjoy it much more than Providence

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colleges visit,where is the most central for us to stay?

Are you thinking of staying in one place as a home base for all these schools? Your choice, but I would never do it that way. Stay in Providence for the RI schools, spend a night in Boston for MIT and then head out to Amherst to spend a night there---or commute there from Boston, though that's about 4 hours of driving in one day.

If you think of Providence of a "home base" you will spend a LOT of time driving back and forth to it. Add in traffic--and realize that Providence has a real rush hour (and doesn't have the big dig central artery road improvement that Boston has, so you can get stuck in some horrible traffic there.)

Look at the map and work out the distances. Having a home base hotel makes sense if you're looking at Bentley, MIT, Babson and Boston College. Once you start spanning two states and multiple regions of a state (eastern-central MA)... they get different weather in Amherst.... it's not anywhere near MIT...

You could have a lot of fun visiting these three distinctly different areas by spending the night in each. Providence, Boston, Berkshires....

That's how I'd do it anyway...

Edited: 30 June 2013, 16:23