We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help pls!! 13 day summer trip w/teens from Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
need help pls!! 13 day summer trip w/teens from Boston

I'm overwelmed & starting to panic w/flights booked from FL to Boston on Fri, July 5th returning July 17 & no plans made. We've never been to the area outside of Boston & are traveling w/our 12 & 14 yr old daughters. I've been searching the forums to make the most of our time and am more confused than before. We would love to spend time on MV & get a real feel for the island. Most rentals are 7 days. Sat to Sat. Should we try do the island July 6-12 , or is too busy? Not sure if a few days are better or if we should try to visit the later part. Of trip.

I'm thinking we'd like to go North into NH & Maine. I know the girls would love to zip line & raft, as well as take in the scenery. I want to see as much as we can , but still keep a relaxed pace. We drove the CA coast with them last year & we all loved it. I'm overwelmed with deciding the best itinerary & when to make the most of a car rental. If we go from Boston to MV , should & could we wait to leave island to get one? It seems the ferry is hard to get a car on this time of year. I know I'm all over the place, which is why I need help. Any advise wouldbe appreciated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,964 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: need help pls!! 13 day summer trip w/teens from Boston

Well, you are all over the place considering your trip is next week. The first two weeks of July are usually busy, especially on the islands and on the Cape. Where you stay may depend upon availability of lodging.

What places are you considering besides the Vineyard? For rafting, I'm not sure at this time of year, but New Hampshire and Maine have zipling.

You could head North and spend some time on NH or Maine and then head over to the Maine Coast and have some beach time.

Then head South of Boston and go to the Cape and/or the islands and spend the second week.

I think a lot of your trip may be dictated by where you find places to stay. If you can find a rental on the Vineyard for a week, take it. But you need to give us more information about what you want to do and see.

Personally, to get a good sense of the area, I'd spend some time on the coast, drive through the mountains in NH, and spend time in Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help pls!! 13 day summer trip w/teens from Boston

Okay, first take a deep breath. Then another one. ;) It's really up to you how you want to split up the 13 days. Not knowing you, I'd suggest 3 nights in Boston. You could do this at the beginning or end of your trip as you do not want/need a car in the city. Then do 5 nights on the cape and 5 in NH/Maine. I'd suggest staying somewhere central on the cape so you can do day trips like over to Martha's Vineyard. I'd be bored spending more than a day or two there. You'll want to rent a car for the part of your trip not in Boston.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,142 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help pls!! 13 day summer trip w/teens from Boston

You need to go pretty far North into Maine for rafting. Considering you want to see the Cape andMV too, I would probably skip the rafting.

Boston...
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help pls!! 13 day summer trip w/teens from Boston

Good advice here. I would have to agree with ting-it might be best to flip flop the ( North/South) due to the holiday rush on the cape and the islands...if you dont already have reservation chances are you are out of luck.

I will disagree with bmoruzzi-about day tripping to MV. MV and Nantucket are the jewels of MA....you could spend the entire summer on either and not get bored.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help pls!! 13 day summer trip w/teens from Boston

My concern would be that having left it this late, it will be hard to find accommodation in either MV or Nantucket now, and if you do find some, it will be very expensive. If you go north to Maine, there will be be more choices. Do you intend to spend any time in Boston itself?

Boston...
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: need help pls!! 13 day summer trip w/teens from Boston

With your trip being so close and during a peak time, I agree that you may want to take a day trip to Martha Vineyard and Nantucket, especially if you are having trouble finding a place that doesn't have a 7-day requirement. If you do day trips to the Islands, you wouldn't be moving hotels a lot and could stay 4-5 days in Cape Cod, or more if you want.

The order and what you see is obviously up too, I would pick my order based on availability since you may have more trouble in the Cape and the Islands trying to find the perfect place for you.

You may want to check out Lakes in Maine too for ziplining and rafting... I know I've seen ziplining at Point Sebago in Casco, ME and I believe Sunday River has it too. I have only been white water rafting at The Forks, which is a little far from both those points, but I'm sure others will have more ideas too. Rafting will probably be harder to find than ziplining. Southern Maine would be fun too, as there's a lot of beach options too.

7. Re: need help pls!! 13 day summer trip w/teens from Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 07:18