We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Providence to Logan by bus or train for 8:30AM flight Tues?

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
674 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Providence to Logan by bus or train for 8:30AM flight Tues?

I can either take a 5:30 AM Peter Pan bus to Logan or a MBTA train departing at 5:25 arriving 6:40 or a 6:05 arriving 7:24. The car service wanted me to leave at 5 AM because of traffic concerns. Apparently weekday traffic has been particularly heavy lately. Either the bus or the train is a 5 minute drive from my house. Which would be best? This is for Tuesday July 9.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Providence to Logan by bus or train for 8:30AM flight Tues?

I'd opt for the train. The commuter rail isn't effected by traffic, so you'll be on time (give or take 5 minutes) getting to South Station. Then you just go inside and downstairs and hop on the Silver Line to the airport, or go out front and jump in a cab.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,330 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Providence to Logan by bus or train for 8:30AM flight Tues?

I agree with Diva, and the Providence to Boston leg of the trip is pretty fast. Look into taking a Northeast Regional train because it doesn't stop anywhere until you get to Westwood.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Providence to Logan by bus or train for 8:30AM flight Tues?

The bus is non stop but the train you have to switch. To me it's a no brainer, the bus. The bus schedules factor in traffic and are usually with ten minutes of their eta. The bus will be able to use the Hov lanes.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,442 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Providence to Logan by bus or train for 8:30AM flight Tues?

I catch the 525AM train that should give you plenty of time.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Providence to Logan by bus or train for 8:30AM flight Tues?

I was hoping the bus would be recommended so that I would not have to change at the train station with luggage. Any idea how frequently the silver line departs at that hour of the morning? I am not that familiar with south station because we usually drive to Boston.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Providence to Logan by bus or train for 8:30AM flight Tues?

If you want to take the bus, then take the bus. You should miss most of the traffic anyway.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Providence to Logan by bus or train for 8:30AM flight Tues?

The silver line is annoyingly slow. 20 mins SSta to Logan. I wish they'd run expresses to logan but they don't. It makes stops and then stops again at Silver Line Way. Maddening if you're in a hurry.

8. Re: Providence to Logan by bus or train for 8:30AM flight Tues?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 06:19