We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica Plain

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Jamaica Plain

We are planning a vacation in Boston and want to rent an apartment. We found a place in Jamaica Plain, on Armory Street , near the Stony Brook T station.

Travelling with our newborn, we are less adventurous and want to be sure that it is a safe neighborhood.

Thank you

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaica Plain

It's an "OK" neighborhood. Not the safest one you could have picked. Since you say you are "less adventurous", find another place. You'd rather be in the North End, Beacon Hill, Back Bay or Cambridge or Brookline.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaica Plain

If you find something in Jamaica Plain closer to Centre St. and the Pond, it would better meet your requirements. That said, Amory St. and the whole area is loaded with new condos, lots of new residents, and has some good small restaurants. It is not the Amory St. of 5 years ago.

And it also depends on the exact location of the unit. "Near" something means different things to different people. It's helpful to us to post the apartment address or the listing.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaica Plain

This is the apartment listing: homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p386983#rates

It is 300 feets from the metro.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaica Plain

JP is a super cool hip neighborhood that feels like groovier Cambridge. It's a nice area, but has borders. One stop from Stoney Brook is Jackson Sq, near Bromley Heath. if that doesn't ring a bell, you might want to google it. Look at the crime stats for Orange Line stations on the Mbta police website, too. If you look at the BPD crime map for the city and search for gun violence, you'll get a sense of where the rougher areas are. JP is ok but it's close to areas that, sadly, are not.

Lots of people work and live in JP without issue. I grew up in Mattapan, not trying to disparage any neighborhoods. It's just something to know before you take the apartment. If you had planned to take the T late at night or go for long walks near the apartment, you might want to reconsider if you're not adventurous or used to being in the city.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaica Plain

I know those houses. The apartment gets great reviews and looks very nice. I often meet friends at Bella Luna for drinks and pizza. Early in the evening there are always lots of families.

You can ask the owner for contact information from past renters if you want to ask about your concerns. I'd feel fine staying there but it all depends on your comfort with city living.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaica Plain

Ditto what beantown said

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaica Plain

I want to make sure I was clear before. I like JP. I used to live there and it's a fun, funky neighborhood. However, it borders some unsavory areas. The area around Stony Brook is not at all a horrible neighborhood. But, calling it a "safe" neighborhood is maybe a bit optimistic. Since the OP said they are not adventurous, I was taking their tolerances into account. There is a 90% chance that they will love the area and everything will be just fine. However, I think they could find another neighborhood that would suit them better.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaica Plain

Maude, if you decide on looking for another apartment, run it by us for convenience and safety. There are parts of all areas that more or less desirable.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaica Plain

I do not know the neighborhood and cannot comment on safety ... however most (all?) of JP is a bit removed from typical tourist sites. What do you plan to do while you are here? If you are on the Freedom trail and want to hop back to lodging if your little one gets stressed, it will take a bit of time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaica Plain

I agree with Beantownman....