We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Line Parking

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Red Line Parking

We are going to be staying on Cape Cod and want to take a sightseeing trip into Boston next Thursday, the 18th. Since we'll be coming from the Cape, we planned on parking and riding the train into the city. In looking at options, I've seen a lot of differing opinions about how to get there. Thoughts on the best way to get into the city? We plan on entering via the Red line. Thanks!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
996 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Line Parking

This is easy to do. Drive up rte. 3 toward Boston. There are two Red Line stations accessible from 3; Braintree at exit 18 and Quincy Adams at exit 19. Both have parking garages. Parking is $7. The Red Line to Park Street (downtown Boston) is about 25 minutes.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Line Parking

I would go for Quincy Adams unless you can get to Braintree early. The T 's website estimates weekday parking availability at Braintree at < 1%. At Q-A they say less than 26%. So Quincy Adams probably never fills up.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Line Parking

Be aware that the garages can fill up with rush hour commuters. Plan accordingly.

If you get there and they're full, Wollaston and North Quincy also have lots.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Line Parking

Braintree tends to fill up, but Quincy Adams is huge and generally will have spaces. You can drive directly into the parking garage at Quincy Adams from Exit 19, there is an exit ramp right into the garage.

Boston...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Line Parking

I agree with everyone... I would head to Quincy Adams first (Braintree fills up really early). You should be fine at QA unless there's a red sox day game or something. If the lot is full, just head north down that street and you'll hit every parking red line garage in Quincy. Quincy Adams parking is $7.

Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Line Parking

Thanks for the advice, everyone. One more question - how is traffic around the Quincy Adams station at 8ish in the morning? Are we going to be stopped on the highway for a while waiting to exit? Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Line Parking

Quincy Adams is right off the off ramp so once you get to exit 19, it will be pretty easy. However, heading north from the Cape during the morning commute you'll definitely hit some up route 3. You'll probably be moving for the most part, but don't expect to go the speed limit either.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,297 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Line Parking

Traffic really slows down in the morning going north around exit 14 or so. By the way, the Braintree exit number is 17 if you do chose to go there. I thought that number was wrong, so double checked today as I had to go to Braintree. Good luck and safe travels. :)

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red Line Parking

Yes, you will run into traffic and you should be prepared for some slow moving or stopped traffic. Just plan accordingly and add a bit of time to your travels.

10. Re: Red Line Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 05:17