We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to Niagra falls from Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
trip to Niagra falls from Boston

We are thinking about making a trip to Niagra falls from Boston in January 2015. There will be six of us (2 adults, 2 teens and 2 kids aged 12 and 10) and we wont have a hire car. We are wondering if it is worth seeing the falls in the winter and if so, which would be the best way to travel. Also, can a visit to Niagra falls be done in one overnight trip?

Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to Niagra falls from Boston

Welcome to the forum. I have never seen the falls in winter. I can tell you it is a long drive - about 8 hours compound that with the possibility of bad weather in January and it will be that much longer. You can fly or take a bus too. Personally, I would not do it.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,481 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to Niagra falls from Boston

I saw Niagara Falls in winter as a young teen and thought they were quite interesting but it was a little side trip from an event in Buffalo on a bus with a driver who was very experienced driving in snow.

Under the best of circumstances -- no unexpected traffic, no bad weather, no long lunch breaks --- it is an 8 hour drive form Boston. If you get lucky, you won't be driving in a snow storm or blizzard but you are almost guaranteed to hit a few snow squalls in the area of the Buffalo and the falls. How much experience do you have with driving in snow ?

I have lived here all my life and it is not a drive I would make for pleasure.

You could cut out most of the driving by flying to Buffalo or Toronto but you are at risk of weather-related flight delays.

If you decide to go through with this plan ... Be sure your car rental agreement permits you to take the car into another country.

So that is my take on this subject, but it is your vacation and you need to do what is best for you.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,481 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to Niagra falls from Boston

Oops I read "wont have rental car" as want to have rental car? Sorry.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 12:07
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to Niagra falls from Boston

thanks for your message and in answer to your question....We don't have snow driving experience! I think we will err on the side of caution and steer clear of driving in the snow.

Thanks for your advice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to Niagra falls from Boston

Bad idea. Although I'm sure the Falls are gorgeous in winter, especially without the crowds, many of the activities will be shuttered during winter . The Buffalo area is known for harsh winters and snow accumulation. If you planned to drive, you'd have to take that into account.

Doesn't sound like a good fit. You could instead bop down to NYC which is great in winter and connected by bus and rail.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to Niagra falls from Boston

You would fly to Buffalo and see the Falls from there. Niagara Falls is not particularly near Boston. You could ask in the Buffalo, New York forum about visiting the Falls in winter.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to Niagra falls from Boston

Flying to Buffalo would be the best way, but you would probably want to rent a car once in Buffalo.

That time of year, weather can disrupt flights (either going or returning) and make for difficult driving. Buffalo is even more susceptible to snow storms than Boston.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: trip to Niagra falls from Boston

Not "even" more... WAY more - particularly the lake effect snow.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 00:16
Maryland
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip to Niagra falls from Boston

The snow is being overhyped here. Buffalo has not received nearly the pounding from snow in the last decade or more. Syracuse and points north and east of there get double the seasonal totals. The vast majority of snow squalls off Lake Erie hit the towns south of Buffalo. Niagara Falls is well north and out of range of the snow belt areas. I will say that in Winter, the Falls are relatively empty on the NY side and the Rainbow bridge into Canada is free from lines and traffic. It's kinda' nice, but on the other hand attractions like the Maid of the Mist are shut down in the winter months.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip to Niagra falls from Boston

The falls are very beautiful in the winter, we have been in January. There are attractions open and it's so different in winter, especially the thickened ice.