We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martha's Vineyard Ferry

Boston...
Level Contributor
162 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Martha's Vineyard Ferry

Hello,

I am driving from Boston to Woods Hole on Saturday morning and then taking the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. Can you help answer my questions please??

1. Will there be traffic driving to Woods Hole on Saturday morning? If so, what is the best time to go?

2. Will it be easy to park at Woods Hole or do the lots fill up quickly?

3. Do I need reservations for the ferry or can I buy them when I get there?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Martha's Vineyard Ferry

Here's the website for the Steamship Authority http://www.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/mv.cfm. There's lots of good info there about the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. Yes, there will be traffic going to the cape on a Saturday morning. I'd suggest you leave very early in the morning. You shouldn't have a problem parking in one of the lots for the ferry. There are a few different ones with shuttle service to the boat. You can buy your tickets when you arrive.

Boston...
Level Contributor
162 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Martha's Vineyard Ferry

Thank you!! You have answered all of my questions!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Martha's Vineyard Ferry

Don't go all the way into woods hole only to find out that you are being sent 20 minutes back to the Palmer st lot. Just head there in the first place or consider taking the Island Queen from Falmouth.

Either way leave EARLY. We are talking the head just hit the pillow and time to get up or let's just sleep in the car or make sure you set the rooster to loud crowing when the sun is about to come up.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
10 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Martha's Vineyard Ferry

There is less traffic earlier in the day. The Steamship has lots of lots for parking. They charge by the day. It isn't cheap. No need for passenger reservations!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Martha's Vineyard Ferry

The good news is that there are large flashing signs on the main roadways into Falmouth/Woods Hole which will direct you to the available parking. Also, the cost is $12.00 per calendar day.

6. Re: Martha's Vineyard Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:17