We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

Hello! We are planning a family trip to Boston Oct. 1-8 with our two kids. We're coming from Arizona and have never been to the Boston area. I'm geographically challenged with all of New England but we are very excited to do all of the touristy stuff in the City and also have 2 or 3 days renting a car to drive up to Maine and other areas to see actual fall foliage. I have been reading the posts/forums on this site for over a week and am overwhelmed with trying to find a place to stay and what neighborhoods would be best. The hotels right in the City are very expensive so we have no problem staying slightly outside the heart of the City if it is close to transportation. We also have examined VRBO because we'd like a bigger space to use as our home base. I've inquired about a home in Jamaica Plain, but have read mixed reviews on the neighborhood. From other posts, I've noticed that giving specifics helps so here it goes: Oct. 1-8, family of 4, budget up to $250 a night (could be higher depending on all other fees, taxes, etc), will be doing City touristy stuff as well as driving around to see other areas/states, really want more space than standard hotel room - 2 bedroom and 2 bath is ideal (but I've noticed this is challenging). I appreciate any help and advice you can provide. Thanks so much!!

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Jamaica Plain
Jamaica Plain
34 Reviews
Boston, MA
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,809 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

If you would like a hotel, the only central one of which i know that has 2 bedroom suites is the Marriott Residence Inn. They are located in Cambridge, Tudor Wharf (Charlestown ) and a new one opening,i think, in September in the Fenway. The 2 bedroom suites would probably be around 300/night.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

Yes, people here generally tell you not to stay in Jamaica Plain. I don't because I live here as do many of my friends. No, it is not as convenient as staying downtown, but if you are near the Orange Line, you are pretty close time-wise to downtown. Most of JP is about 4 miles from Back Bay. Much closer than many suburban locations.

If you post the apartment's address, you'll get more precise information. October is a busy month in Boston and has some of the highest hotel rates.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica Plain
Jamaica Plain
34 Reviews
Boston, MA
Back Bay
Back Bay
431 Reviews
Boston, MA
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

Here is an excellent website for locating and comparing hotels in Boston:

hotelguides.com/massachusetts/map-boston-ma-…

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

I think JP is a good option given your budget, schedule & wanting more space.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone!

Boston...
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

I have had excellent luck with hotwire.com. use betterbidding.com to help narrow down the hotels. Ive stayed in the intercontinental and Sheraton several times for under $200. Your best bet is staying in beacon hill, back bay, or the water front. Instead of going all the way to Maine,consider Salem, rockport, or gloucester. All those are an easy day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

To see the best fall foliage I recommend the White Mountains. There is a higher concentration of sugar maples there than along the coast. Those give you the bright red leaves

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,350 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

The OP wants lots of space, with preferably 2 br and even 2 baths. Hotwire will not work for them.

Boston...
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

I've booked a suite with hotwire before.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,336 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston in October with tweens - where to stay? Overwhelmed..

Much of JP is actually quite nice. There is a small section that is somewhat less nice, but even then it's not flat out "bad". As mentioned, if you give us the address of the apartment, we can tell you exactly what the area is like. If you want more space, renting a furnished apartment would be a good option. If you do a search on the forum for that, you will find some other discussions and some other options in addition to VRBO.

If you are looking for an apartment, Beacon Hill, Back Bay and North End/Waterfront are the most central and most "tourist friendly" areas to base yourself. However, that central location comes with a price. So you will need to decide what you want to do.

Some other areas to check out for Apartments: Brookline, Cambridge, Somerville

There are some Suite hotels that you can look at, but looking at their web sites, the price for a suite for four people is around $499/night. You might be able to get a better deal if you look around though. Here is one option for you, it's the Marriott Residence Inn, in Kendall Sq. Cambridge. It's an excellent location for you.

marriott.com/hotels/…

There's also the Marriott Custom House, which would be an outstanding location for you, in one of the most iconic Boston buildings, next to Quincy Market, and the Waterfront. It's also $499/night though. But, you would love it. From the higher floors the views are spectacular.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Mentioned in this post
Back Bay
Back Bay
431 Reviews
Boston, MA
Waterfront
Waterfront
1,668 Reviews
Boston, MA
Brookline
Brookline