We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help! New England Fall Vacation Itinerary

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please help! New England Fall Vacation Itinerary

eeek ok so I know this is TOTALLY out there and all over the place which is why I really need some (a lot) of help narrowing down places and an itinerary :) ANY help is so so appreciated.

We have a wedding to go to in Boston Saturday, Sept 28 and we want to make about a week long vacation from it. Time heading there is going to depend on flight costs so between sun-tues (sept 22-24) and coming back home (DC) a week later.

My husband is VERY into craft beers and wants to tour a few breweries up there - but we want it to be super relaxing, not too too much going on because it will be a bit of a lil babymoon.

Here are some places we would love to see (not in any particular order) but I realize they are all very far away from each other - hence why I would love any kind of direction as to what to do over the other, what's 'better' etc etc. Thanks so much!!

Husband wants to fly into Portland (visit Maine Beer co and relax for a couple of nights)

Then VT (stay in a mountain cabin somewhere, visit some farms and breweries, scenic rides, etc)

I'd LOVE to go either of the following either before or after wedding in Boston - Marthas Vineyard, Cape Cod, Nantucket (what's the best choice there?)

Any ideas/suggestions/sample itineraries anyone has? Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
Martha's Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Nantucket
Nantucket
Massachusetts
Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Tuckamore Aviation
City Tours, Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Boston Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, City Tours
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help! New England Fall Vacation Itinerary

Is the wedding literally in Boston? where exactly?

flights between Boston and DC can be incredibly cheap. In your case it might be best to fly in and out of Manchester, NH. You might want to fly into Manchester, get a car, and then drive directly to Portland, then drive over to VT, then down to Boston for the wedding. That would be a reasonable week right there. Going to the Cape (to say nothing of MV or Nantucket) seems like an outlier.

You might be able to fly into Manchester on Southwest and return from Providence (RI), doing a one-way rental.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Nantucket
Nantucket
Massachusetts
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help! New England Fall Vacation Itinerary

Everything is doable but you may be best to fly into Boston since that will probably give you the cheapest rate. You could rent a car and go north or south to the Cape area. I think you could do everything you want but you may want to alter it a little.

Portland is a great town and only a couple hours from Boston. Great food and a good beer scene there.

Just a suggestion but Portsmouth, NH is another town to consider. Great town with Redhook and Smuttynose brewery there.

VT may be a stretch if you also want to do the Cape or one of the islands. It probably can be done but it will take a few extra hours. You may want to consider looking into a place in the white mountains of NH instead. Somewhere around North Conway is a great area and is a lot closer to Portland.

If you want to go to the Cape you could take a ferry out of Boston to Provincetown. That way you could return your car when you come back for the wedding.

http://www.baystatecruisecompany.com/

If you had a lot of time I would have suggested making a trip to Waterbury, VT to go to the Alchemist Cannery. The home of the #1 beer (Heady Topper) on Beer Advocate. Great beer town as well. However, that is quite a distance if you want to make it to all the places you want to go.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help! New England Fall Vacation Itinerary

Love these tips already!

Thanks to you both! The wedding is about 20 miles from downtown Boston. My husband found incredibly cheap flights going to portland and flying home from boston but I'm sure there are great deals to/from Boston and to NH and back from Boston too.

Re Portland - what else is there to do there/what's the scene? Is it like a cape cod-like atmosphere?

I really like the suggestion of driving up to Portland and over to NH.

AH I don't know because I really want to go to the Cape or one of the islands but I really want to see VT and the fall foliage/drives/cheese tastings :) hehe. I realize it's a bit much/way too stressful for what we want the trip to be like. I just don't want to be driving all the time.

Alchemist is definitely on my husbands top beer list. Heady Topper IS really good. I think that may be a bit of a stretch though, like yall said, trying to get out there for that.

SO if you had to pick between Portland or the Cape or one of the islands - what are your thoughts?

THanks!!!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help! New England Fall Vacation Itinerary

Portland is an old, port town. There are a ton of shops, restaurants, and bars. I would suggest staying in the Old Port area since that is where the action is and you can walk to most things. Bon Appetite, i believe, named it one of the best food cities in America and that is saying something considering how small it is. I would say it is a little different than the Cape but I love it. Shipyard brewery is right there too. To get an idea of what it is like just Google "Portland, ME Old Port" and take a look at the images.

I am not sure you would be getting a lot of color at that time but it does depend on the weather a lot. Typically around the Boston area we don't peak until mid-Oct to towards the end of Oct. You may get some color up north at that time

Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
972 Reviews
Portland, ME
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help! New England Fall Vacation Itinerary

There are pluses and minus for each, but for that time of the year I would lean towards Porland

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help! New England Fall Vacation Itinerary

I had no idea there there was an airport in Portland, Maine. Sounds like you will love it.

Please tell us where the wedding is. A wedding 20 miles from Boston is very different than a wedding in Boston. We are very provincial here. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help! New England Fall Vacation Itinerary

I'd vote for going north as well and skipping the cape. IF you were coming in the mid summer I'd say go to the cape, but being late September my vote changes to Portland.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help! New England Fall Vacation Itinerary

haha :) my girlfriends from Reading so the ceremony is there. We're then staying in Danvers and the reception is at the Hellenic Center in Ipswich.

Looks like Portland it is then! Then I'm thinking heading over to VT and staying in Topnotch Resort or an Inn out there somewhere. I think that's a happy medium for both what I want and my hubby wants.

I can always change the week we're going to after the wedding which would take us into the first week of Oct...but if the Cape and around there isn't going to have too too much color, going more North seems the best bet. If I'm going there, I DEFINITELY want to see those beautiful fall colors (hello, that's where all those incredibly gorgeous photos come from in the Fall). Plus, I'm a photographer myself, so this would be heaven - eating amazing food AND photographing beautiful leaves = awesomeness :)

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Please help! New England Fall Vacation Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:18