We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

Hi I am visiting a friend in Boston, and would like to take opportunity to do some road trips to see a few other states and places. I have been to Boston, CT, and NYC before, therefore, I would like to see something different this time. Here's my itinerary, please provide thoughts or feedback, add/subtract - We use Boston as a starting point daily.

Day 1 - fly to Boston

Day 2 - Boston - Providence

Providence to Block Island

Block Island back to Boston

Day 3 - Boston - portsmouth, NH

Portsmouth - ogunquit, ME

Ogunquit - Portland, ME

Portland back to Boston

Day 4 - Boston - Burlington, VT

Burlington back to Boston

Day 5 - Relax and just spend time in Boston area,

OR we could drive up to Nantucket, MA

Day 6 - Fly back home.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

Well, you are hitting one of my favorite places, Block Island, so that's good. Since you are traveling between Providence and Block Island, I'd suggest you stop in Newport RI for a half day, and visit some of the mansions, take a walk on the Cliff Walk, walk around town. There's a lot to do there.

I'd also suggest New Hampshire, specifically the Franconia Notch area, and if you can arrange it, go visit Mount Washington. Perhaps take the Auto Road to the top, or ride the Cog Railway.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

These are all doable, but there's a lot of driving every day. It's not my cup of tea, but if it's yours, fine.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 17:50
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

I think days 2 and 3 are too much to do in one day. Portsmouth, Ogunquit and Portland is too much in a day trip. Any one of these places is a day trip in itself. Portland is about 2 hours from Boston with no traffic, so that is 4 hours out of your day simply in roundtrip driving.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

Should we do Nantucket vs. Block Island?

I realize it's a lot of driving but not sure what we can do. Do you think each place requires a day to be there?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

Boston to Burlington is almost 5 hours. That's not a day trip in my opinion.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

Burlington is 3 hours drive. I may remove Block Island, I didn't realize you have to take the ferry. I will do newport, RI instead. I will do that on next trip.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 18:22
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

You have to take a ferry to Nantucket too. It is not generally recommended for a day trip from Boston, but that is your call. You're going to be doing a lot of driving and not much exploring of each destination. I'd prioritize exactly what it is you want to see and maybe pare down the itinerary a bit.

When are you visiting?

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

Here it is in a nutshell:

Boston to Newport RI in one day: Yes, very possible

Boston to Block Island in one day: Yes, very, very long day. The ferry there is only 1 hour and I've done day trips there. You can get there in about 3 hours total from Boston, ride around on a bike a bit, and come back.

Boston to Portland in one day: Yes, long day but OK

Boston to Burlington in one day: Not such a good idea. It's a long drive, I'd say more than 3 hours each way.

Boston to Nantucket in one day: Not such a good idea...a very, very long day and a long ferry ride

Have you thought about a day trip to Provincetown on Cape Cod? You can easily take the fast ferry from Boston there and back in one day. They have specials as well, for day trippers.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

Thank you all, I think at this time, I won't be doing any island or ferry. I'll be visiting this mid August. More reasons for me to come back to New England :-)

BeantownMan - thank you for the breakdown, that's really helpful to gain your perspective.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip starting from Boston Itinerary

I guess it depends on how fast you drive and what route you take to Burlington. Google maps says 3 hrs 20 min for one route and 4 hrs 20 min for another route. I'm a lead foot driver and there's no way in hell I'd get there in 3 hours. This does not take into account traffic either.