We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston First-Timers Itinerary

Cork, Ireland
12 posts
Save Topic
Boston First-Timers Itinerary

Hi, my boyfriend (21) and I (19) are travelling from Ireland to Boston Logan on the 27th of August till the 6th of September. We are staying in Exeter, NH with a relative of mine, and plan to use to the train to get in and out of the city. The following itinerary is still a work in progress, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If I am missing a "must see" destination please let me know.

I apologize for the formatting. I tried the best to make it reader friendly.

I would like to thank all in advance for their willingness to review and offer their input. Thank you!

Also, would the fact that I'm under twenty-one cause us any difficulties in regards to getting dinner in the evenings?

Day one - arrive in Logan, go to Exeter and just unpack,

Day two - go into Boston, go to;

-> Aquariam

-> Faneuil Hall and see the street entertainers and markets etc,

-> Get a feel for the place and walk around

Day three and four - we are travelling to New York.

Day five - relax, and see a bit of Exeter.

Day six - Hampton beach

Day seven - Museum of Science

-> Fenway Park

-> Cambridgeside Galleria

Day eight - we are going to the Merrimack Premium Outlets or the Kittery Outlet Mall, and then go see a bit of Portsmouth.

Day nine - Duck tours,

-> Copley Place

-> the Prudential centre

->Newbury Street.

Day ten - we are packing and relaxing in Exeter,

Day eleven - we are departing!

Edited: 01 August 2013, 19:55
Trailblazer Tours Boston - Private Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Boston By Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Plymouth...
Level Contributor
258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston First-Timers Itinerary

The legal drinking age is 21 so you won't be able to have a Guiness! Should not be any problem getting into any restaurants. Some of the night clubs require you be at least 21.

Cork, Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston First-Timers Itinerary

Thanks looper28! Is there night clubs in Boston that allow you to enter under twenty one if you were a special band/stamp?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston First-Timers Itinerary

Your days in Boston look good, although not sure why you'd want to go to the Cambridgeside Galleria. It's just a mall. That and the museum of science are right next to one another practically so you'd probably want those back to back.

As for clubs, there's some on Landsdowne street (or at least there were when I was in college). I'm assuming they're still there. Some would have special under 21 nights.

Cork, Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston First-Timers Itinerary

Thanks bmoruzzi, friends of ours were in Boston for a J1 last summer, and they suggested that we go to the Cambridgeside Galleria when we're at the Museum because they thought it was good for a bit of shopping! Thanks for your advice about nights out too :)

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,482 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston First-Timers Itinerary

Here's a good list of clubs and other nightlife for the under 21 crowd: bu.edu/today/…

Cork, Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston First-Timers Itinerary

Thanks Christnp2, your link was very helpful :)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston First-Timers Itinerary

It seems you must have a car for part of the trip. That being the case, I suggest you consider a side trip to Lowell - National Historic Park on the Industrial Revolution/Boott Mills. The original mill workers were rural girls who came off the farm. They were quickly replaced by the Irish who came escaping the famine - with French Canadians and other immigrants to follow. The mills are very interesting and you'd get a view of what the immigrants had to deal with. The city of Lowell remains pretty gritty. One of the French Canadian descendants is Jack Kerouac - if you are a fan.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston First-Timers Itinerary

Day two - it's all within walking distance, lovely area (my favorite part of Boston), the shops, bars, etc are awesome. It's too bad that you are below the drinking age as Boston is pretty strict on that.

Day three and four - we are travelling to New York. - Visit the Botanical garden in the bronx IF you have time to spare, it's lovely. Have a picnic/breakfast at Central Park, save at least 3 hours for the Museum of Natural History another MUST SEE. Ah, carry map of the subway system.

Day six - Hampton beach - have very low expectations for this one.

Day seven - good plan, that's a pretty good mall.

Day eight - Portsmouth is gorgeous.

Day nine - Duck tours - kinda boring and more for the elderly

I'm 23, I've lost track of how many times I've visited NYC and live outside of Boston, work in Boston. Feel free to PM me for anything.

Cork, Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston First-Timers Itinerary

Wow, thank you EricaMM, that was great feedback, I'm sure I will end up PM-ing you, so thanks again! As we're coming from Ireland, it's quite expensive so just want to be sure we get the most out of it! Also, in Ireland 18 is the legal age for drinking, so it's kind of weird being underage again! ha :)

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston First-Timers Itinerary

for shopping, don't forget that there is no sales tax in NH but we have a 6.25% sales tax in Massachusetts.