We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which area is better to stay in?

ontario
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
which area is better to stay in?

Any advice would be great to help us decide where to stay:

we are parking our vehicle at Alewife station and then going into Boston. Originally planned to stay in Boston common/theatre district. That might change though because the cost may be too high.

Other areas that we are considering if we choose not to stay 'downtown' are: North cambridge/Arlington area, and South Boston. We are using priceline. So what area would you recommend and why? I should mention that we are planning on using public transit hence why we are parking our vehicle at Alewife. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which area is better to stay in?

I'd recommend you stay with your original thought of boston common/theater district. Let us know your dates and maybe we can help you find something. It's much more convenient to be in the city rather than in southie or cambridge.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which area is better to stay in?

If you are using Priceline, are you saying you've tried bidding up to your budget limit and nothing has been accepted?

If you want to stay in North Cambridge, why not stay at the Best Western Tria, which is walking distance from Alewife. Then, just park at the hotel and pay their nominal fees.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which area is better to stay in?

The problem with the other areas is that the hotels there are unlikely to be convenient to the T, and may have nothing of interest within walking distance. South Boston has some hotels in fairly unpleasant areas (and some not-so-bad ones too).

One place that is reasonably convenient and even provides free parking is Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge. It's right near the Lechmere T Stop. They have been having some pretty good rates. It's not the most convenient area, but it's reasonably ok. Check LMT first though.

I've noticed that Best Western Tria often has really high rates. Really too high for the hotel quality.

One more rec: Hotel Indigo in Newton. It's a nice hotel right next to the Riverside Green D line station. It's a long-ish ride into Boston, but pleasant enough. They charge something like $7/night to park. They have a very nice pool too.

LastMinuteTravel.com is a good resource for Boston. Lots of good hotels list with them. Their identities are often easy to figure out. Forum members can help if you give us your exact dates. It's best to pay attention to only "available" rates as "on request" rates can be a real long shot, and you are locked into a 48 hour waiting period.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 22:38
ontario
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which area is better to stay in?

I have been looking at express deals on Priceline. We plan to stay aug 25-28, so 3 nights. We can be flexible coming a day before or a day after.... Last week i found 3.5 star Boston Common/ Theater Dis for $111 a night , and know that I should have booked the deal when I saw it, but I didn't . I have been lazy and not bothered to bid although I think I wil bid tonight. I would like to keep my budget as low as possible, prefer not to pay more than $140 all in a night. A 'downtown' location of course would be great though,

thanks for any further suggestions, or ideas!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,067 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which area is better to stay in?

It makes no sense to leave your car outside the city to stay outside the city elsewhere. I agree with the idea to check out Western Tria not far from the Alewife T.

Don't do Priceline bidding for SBoston cuz some if those hotels are on the outskirts near a highway.

If you have a car and don't want to pay Boston prices you should KEEP the car with you, get a hotel outside the city and drive to a t station daily.

If you want other suggestions, let us know.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 23:09
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which area is better to stay in?

That $111 hotel was probably Park Plaza. They have a "petite" category of room that is tiny, with just a double bed. Often that's what goes up on the secret hotel sites. LMT has it for $119 "On Request" (which means you wait to see if you get it). It's the 3.5 star Back Bay with 941 guest rooms (it's really between the two neighborhoods)

On LastMinuteTravel.com, the best deal I see is Marriott Copley Place for $152. That's a great location. It's the 3.5* Back Bay hotel with 1147 guestrooms. Look carefully at the photos and you'll see the Marriott logo. Parking is expensive, but you could go with your plan of parking at a T stop.

For $137, they have the Quincy Marriott. It's the 3.5 star listed in Quincy Market/Financial category, but it is in Quincy, MA (a city just outside of Boston). It's convenient to the Red Line Quincy Station. The hotel details say "Located in suburban Quincy". Parking is $12/day.

If you call LMT when booking, they usually give you a slight discount.

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which area is better to stay in?

Best western-fresh pond=crack shack dump. Stay away

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,725 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which area is better to stay in?

The Quincy Marriott is a good suggestion i really would look into that.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which area is better to stay in?

Quincy Marriott is a good choice if you want your car with you. Also Adams Inn in Quincy. Both good n-hoods on the T. Staying intown is nicer. No rush hour commutes in.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 12:23
10. Re: which area is better to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 06:19