We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston To Burlington Transportation

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Boston To Burlington Transportation

Hi I am going to Boston to visit a friend but he'll be in class on that day. So I am thinking of going to Burlington for a visit since I have never been there. What's the best public transportation to do that on my own? He wanted me to take his car but since it's not mine, I am not sure if I am allowed to.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston To Burlington Transportation

Do you mean Burlington, Vermont? (that's my guess). Or Burlington, MA. Why on earth would you want to travel to Burlington, MA? I am sure there must be busses from Boston to Burlington, VT. Probably.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston To Burlington Transportation

Oh yes LOL VT sorry forgot to put the state.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston To Burlington Transportation

That's a pretty long trip. You really want to spend 6+ hours of your visit on a bus? What are you interested in in Burlington? Consider Portsmouth NH as a closer smaller-scaler alternative.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston To Burlington Transportation

Burlington, VT is a great day trip from Boston by car.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,213 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston To Burlington Transportation

If you really don't want to drive , consider Portland Maine by train

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston To Burlington Transportation

What do you mean portland maine by train? You mean take the train in portland to vermont? Or take the train from Boston to portland? Does it stop in portland downtown or touristy place?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston To Burlington Transportation

Most of this information was already provided in response to your July 31 post....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k672134…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston To Burlington Transportation

There's a relatively new bus service, MegaBus, that now operates in New England, which is great. We took it last year from Burlington, VT to Hartford, CT and had a great trip. It offers on-board WiFi and a double decker, comfy ride. It operates in several cities, including from Boston to Burlington. I just looked up the schedule and plugged in some Sept dates, and I found that they're running a promotion, charging $1 - yes, one dollar! - to go from Boston to Burlington. The bus leaves Boston at 11:30am and arrives Burlington at 3pm. Not bad schedule, and even better price.

Check out this link - us.megabus.com/JourneyResults.aspx…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston To Burlington Transportation

I'll be driving from Chelmsford (my friend actually lives there) to Burlington, anyone know if I-89N is the way to go? Any toll that I should pay in advanced? Does this I-89N route would give me a good scenery during the drive?

http://goo.gl/maps/mdzRN

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,005 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston To Burlington Transportation

I-89 goes through the Green Mountains, so if that's what you wanted to see, you will. There are no tolls on I-89, but you wouldn't be able to pay them in advance anyway. Any tolls you do encounter in Massachusetts or New Hampshire will be relatively modest compared to traveling in Europe. Never more than a few dollars between destinations.