We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal to Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montreal to Boston

Hello to everyone on the Boston forum. We are a family of three, from the UK, driving from Montreal. We will leave sunday september 8th and need to be at JFK for 5:00pm, friday september 13th ( flight at 7:20pm). I would like to hear any advice from forum members regarding these legs of our trip.

Would you advise me to do the Montreal / Boston leg in one day or stop off overnight? Where to stay? We prefer one room, two queens, up to $250 per night. Obviously we need car parking but we are not too concerned about any other facilities. We would like to see some of the historic sites and museums and to be within walking distance of restaurants in the evening.

At the end of our trip do you think it would be better to drive directly from Boston to JFK or stop off overnight at New Haven or some other town to cut down our drive to the airport.

Thank you for any replies.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal to Boston

Some time lines would be helpful for you. The time to drive from Montreal to Boston is between 5 and 6 hours. From Boston to NYC is about 4 hours, but you have to be mindful of rush hour implications which would make the trip longer. Then you can factor in your personal tolerance level for drive lengths into that.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal to Boston

Taking into account what Alan just told you, I would also stop in Burlington VT. It's a really nice city/town with music, art, shopping, breweries, etc. You can take a boat ride on lake champlain. Burlington is about 2 hours from Montreal. There's really nothing in between.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal to Boston

Going from Boston to NY, leave --plenty-- of time to get to JFK. NYC has traffic like few other places. Better to be early than risk missing the flight.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal to Boston

It's really your preference. Do you want to explore Vermont a bit or just get the driving over with on Sunday and spend the next four days in Boston? The suggestion of Burlington is a good one. Re: your jFK flight, keep in mind that you need to check in at least 3 hours before your flight, so you need to be at the airport, having already returned your rental car, by 4:20. It takes a minimum of 4 or so hours to drive Boston- NYC and that is without any traffic or any stops along the way. To account for traffic and breaks, I would plan to leave Boston no later than 10 a.m., but preferably a bit after 9 (avoiding Boston morning rush hour). NY traffic can be brutal.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 21:58
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal to Boston

Montreal to Boston is a pretty easy day's drive. As mentioned, do you just want to get from one to the other, or do you want to stop? Myself, when I' drive I usually stop in Montpelier to grab lunch or dinner or something. Burlington is also a good stop, but it's a bit farther the next day to Boston.

6. Re: Montreal to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:16