We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

Hello all!

Looking for a good place or places to find authentic clam chowda. I prefer it not be too unhealthy, aka lots of extra heavy cream, butter, etc. but with more clam taste and veggie taste. Could you guys please help me out?

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

Ah husker, a familiar name from the Provo forum. Within the Copley area there are many different restaurants to have chowda. Turners, Atlantic Fish, Legal, Skipjacks to name a few.

http://www.turnersboston.com/

http://www.atlanticfishco.com/

http://www.legalseafoods.com/

http://www.skipjacks.com/

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

It's called Chowder. I believe "veggie taste" would be something called New York Clam Chowder but I've never seen it much less tasted it. Or maybe that is "manhattan style".

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

Great, thanks all! Keep em coming!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,557 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

Another suggestion is the Summer Shack on Dalton St.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

What you're asking for is ---not--- authentic New England Clam Chowder, which has a buttery creamy base with lots of big clams and potatoes. Good clam chowder is creamy. I have yet to taste a diet version that's any good. For authentic, go to Legals or any named above. None of those will be light.

Manhattan style is tomato based Like Thomas, I've never had it and have not seen it on a menu. Maybe there's someplace here that sells it. Not sure.

Bad clam chowder is pasty or it's thin or it has more potato than clam. Fresh ingredients matter. Canned versions are all pretty terrible.

When I worked near Park Square we would all go to Legals to get it to go for lunch every now and then

It's not healthy but it's "a sometimes food"

If anyone knows of a healthy revised version that's actually good, please post.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 01:30
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,557 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

Caroline,

My impression is that authentic chowder is on the thinner side. Legal Seafood and others popularized the thick (using flour and cream) chowder but I've never thought of it traditional. I realize my opinion is bucking a trend but having grown up on this food, I am always surprised at the thick chowder.

But this could be an entire new thread :)

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

You're on vacation, let yourself go a little.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,558 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

No, authentic New England clam chowder is not a light dish. There are some good lighter chowders you can get in the area, but that's not the "authentic New England Clam chowder". Legal Seafood has a tasty light chowder.

It's true that some not-so-great chowders are very thick and pasty (thickened with cornstarch rather than cream) and others are thinner (thickened with heavy cream). The cornstarch ones are actually "lighter" with the calorie and fat count.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

Ting -- Definitely agree that today's version of clam chowder tends to be too thick-and-pastey to be the home-style chowder we grew up with here in Maine. Fresh clams, diced potatoes, some light cream (nothing heavier than half-and-half) and light seasonings (and maybe a little onion depending on who's making it)... but no flour, no cornstarch, and absolutely, positively no tomatoes !!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,558 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clam Chowda options near Copley Place

...wanted to add, for a lighter dish, forget about chowder and just order steamers! Very light, except for the dipping in butter, but you decide how much you drench them. Really, they are yummy with barely a whisper of butter.