We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming travel to Boston

Detroit, Michigan
10 posts
Save Topic
Upcoming travel to Boston

I am planning a surprise trip for my husband and need advice. I am arriving via airport to Boston on September 9th thru 14th. I am wondering the best way to travel from the airport to Arlington?

Also we will be going to Mill's wharf for a fishing charter and was wondering how far that was from Arlington and the best way to get there.

We also plan on doing the boston city pass because my husband likes history and that seems like the route to go.

I also want to go somewhere where my husband can see whales. Are there any great whale tours?

Thanks so much in advance.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Upcoming travel to Boston

To Arlington, your best bet is probably a taxi. Otherwise, it would be multiple subways and a bus. Have no idea where Mill's Wharf is located, except I am quite sure it's not in Boston. You'll have to tell which town it's in.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcoming travel to Boston

Mill Wharf appears to be in Scituate, a place I have heard about but never been to. Always sounds nice, but it's on the other side of the world, about 38 miles from Arlington. You will need a car to get there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcoming travel to Boston

The Mill Wharf is a restaurant in Scituate. It's in Scituate Harbor. Is that what OP means? They've got a nice appetizer selection and beautiful views from the bar... my old stomping ground many moons ago.

I went googling and it would appear that there actually is a Mill Wharf with fishing charter in Scituate, near the restaurant. .

newenglandsharks.com/Page13fishingcharters.h…

Is this where you're going? Nowhere near Arlington.

Scituate is lovely. The harbor area is nice. If you rent a car and go, take the low roads north, Minot Light, Jerusalem Road Cohasset, Hull.. Nantasket Beach. All lovely.

Just fyi, you're very much off the beaten path for tourists.

Detroit, Michigan
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcoming travel to Boston

Caroline, I am going to Arlington and then trying to get to Scituate for a day. We want to see whales and dont know where to go to whale watch.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upcoming travel to Boston

There are whale watches out of Boston, Gloucester, and Newburyport. From Arlington, without a car, you could get to Boston without too much trouble (take the bus), but you will need a car to get to Scituate.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upcoming travel to Boston

Yes, you need a car for Scituate. The commuter rail goes there, but you'd really need a car. Yes, you can do it as a day trip from Arlington. It's a nice little seaside town. (I used to live there). It's off the beaten path. That fishing trip seems like it would be a lot of fun and very different from a typical whale watch on a big boat loaded with tourists. Depends on what you want. If you're fishing, that's different from whale watching. To do the latter, you have to go way out.

I used to go sailing out of Scituate Harbor. Very nice. Nice little town but it's an odd choice if you're staying in Arlington.

The easiest place to get a whale watch from Arlington is Boston. You can get a bus to Arlington and the Red Line to South Station, which is a short walk from Long Wharf. (Other T stops get you closer but require line changes. Aquarium stop on the Blue Line is closest. To do that, you'd go red line to Park, switch to Green Line one stop to Government Center, then to Blue for Aquarium). Others more familiar with Arlington may know of other buses that get you to other subway lines. I just know the Alewife one.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upcoming travel to Boston

All the whale watches go to the same area so you will have same experience. Don't know if one boat is better. North shore excursions will spend less time getting to the area. The area Caroline described is a great drive. Leave it up to you whether a fishing excursion and a whale watch aren't to much water.

8. Re: Upcoming travel to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 06:19