We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Subway

From what I can gather I will need a Charlie card to ride the subway, is that correct? I will be in Boston for a week. Where do I purchase one? Can I get it at the airport? When I go to Salem, does the Charlie card help with the train ride at all or is that entirely different? How much is the train to Salem?

Thanks

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,997 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway

If you will be here for a week you should get the $18 Week long pass. It covers subway, busses, & the inner harbor ferry. (Otherwise a subway trip is $2 -$2.50 every tine you enter the sustem. ) The commuter rail to Salem is a separate charge. It is $13.50 round trip.

The ferry to Salem is privately run and also a separate charge.

Happy Planning!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,997 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway

Forgot to say ... You can buy the ticket from the vending machine at any t station. I believe there are also vending machines at the airport terminals.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway

There are fare machines at the airport. If you buy a pass, which is recommended, you don't need a plastic Charlie Card. The fare vending machine always dispenses passes as a paper ticket. Each person needs his/her own pass.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
118 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway

Having just returned from Boston and having done a day trip to Salem, I highly recommend taking the ferry at least one way (we pre-booked our ticket and took the ferry to Salem and took the train home so that we could be more open-ended on our return time). The views of the coastline from the ferry are just beautiful and it was a really enjoyable way to travel to Salem. I believe the ferry one way was $14, but well worth it for the scenic views. The ferry ride was a highlight of our trip (of course, I love being near the water).

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
118 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway

Here is the link to the Salem ferry:

www.bostonharborcruises.com/Salem-Ferry

And I apologize it was $15/person ($12/senior) for a one-way ticket.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 15:33
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway

Don't they have a 3 or 5 day option for unlimited rides? A week seems a bit long to me as I'm only staying 2 nights...

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway

No they don't. It's 1 day or 7 days.

Aprilgirl, a 7 day pass will make sense for you if you plan to make at least one round trip on the T per day. It's priced out that way. There's also the convenience factor of just buying it once and riding to your heart's content the rest of the week. Keep in mind as mentioned that you cannot share passes so each rider needs his/her own. They are available from all of the MBTA ticket vending machines in all MBTA stations. There are also vending machines located at the Ground Transportation entrance at the terminals at Logan.

The Charlie Ticket and T pass are NOT good for the trip to Salem, either on the Commuter Rail or by Ferry. You will need to pay for that separately. Buy your ticket for the train before you get on, at the North Station ticket counter or you will pay a hefty fee to buy it on the train itself.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway

What's the difference again between the Charlie Card and the T Pass? I know this is a redundant question, but I honestly forgot. I'll only be in Boston less than 48 hours, so what is most advised?

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway

Thanks everyone! Great info. Will get my Charlie card, and I'll be good to go.