We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help organizing please-overwhelmed

Mandeville, LA
Level Contributor
466 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help organizing please-overwhelmed

My husband and I will be arriving in Boston for our first visit early on 9/10 and departing early 9/14. As of now, we will be taking the commuter rail from Logan to Rockport on the 10th and then back into Boston on the 11th. However, this can be cancelled if we find that we need to spend all of our time in Boston to cover most on our wish list. These are the sights that we would like to enjoy and also some dining options that we are considering based upon advice from a friend's daughter who is a local. If you could please help me organize these by area and reasonable planning, I would be appreciative. and am always open to suggestions for changes/additions. We are currently booked at Nine Zero and have no plans for a rental car.

Fenway Park- no game/to eyeball or tour

Boston Common

USS Constitution

Lexington Common

Bunker Hill Monument (Breed’s Hill)

Old North Church

Paul Revere House

Old South Meeting House

Duck Tour

Top of Prudential

Faneuil Hall

Quincy Market

Boylston Street

Charles Street/Beacon Street

Marlborough Street

--------------------------------------

While these were also on my husband's list, we may not be able to include on this trip:

Sam Adams Brewery-

Concord, Minuteman National Historical Park

------------------------------------------------

Carmen’s in North End for dinner

Union Oyster House- bar dining for clam chowder and mussels midday or afternoon

Oyster Neptune- hot lobster roll

Mike’s Pastry

Atlantic Fish

Parker House- dinner or pick up Boston Cream Pie

Cheers – original and replica- for drinks only

A rooftop bar or place with harbor view for evening drinks? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help organizing please-overwhelmed

The rooftop bar at Legal Seafood in the Seaport district is a good place for a drink ( and some sushi) and has a nice harbor view. You can take the commuter rail to Concord and walk to downtown about 15 minutes from the station, but you would likely need a car to get to Minuteman National Park. There is a trolley that provides service between Lexington and Concord that I think stops at the Park, but you would need to check frequency in advance.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help organizing please-overwhelmed

Why nondescript Marlborough Street and not Newbury Street two blocks over?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help organizing please-overwhelmed

It would be a pain to get to Lexington with public transportation - perhaps you should consider a bus tour to Lexington and Concord, or rent a car for the day.

Do I correctly understand that you arrive on the 10th and then go to Rockport for one night? Seems a little hectic. Where are you staying in Rockport for one night? could be good though.

Your list seems pretty good but you really need to take the red line to Harvard Square - very easy and quick from Nine Zero and really a must do for any trip to Boston.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help organizing please-overwhelmed

Boston Common, Old South Meeting House, Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market (and more) are on the Downtown end of the Freedom Trail. The USS Constitution, Bunker Hill Monument, the Old North Church and Paul Revere House are all on the other end of the Freedom Trail. The Prudential Center, Boylston Street and Marlborough Street (or better yet, Commonwealth Avenue) are all in Back Bay. Charles Street and Beacon Street (as well as Acorn Street) are on Beacon Hill. How's that for organizing? By the way, www.BostonCityWalks.com has a wallking tour combining most of those (except the "other end" of the Freedom Trail).

Mandeville, LA
Level Contributor
466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help organizing please-overwhelmed

Thanks for all of the info everyone. Regarding Marlborough and not Newbury Street, we do plan to walk Newbury and knew that it is close to Marlborough....I have to take care of something on Marlborough for my friend and just jotted it down as I wrote. As far as Rockport, we have pending reservations at an inn but also still have Nine Zero for that night in addition to our other nights...it was just a thought and we are not yet locked in at the inn.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help organizing please-overwhelmed

Rethcir, those like me, who love architecture and gardens enjoy a stroll down Marlborough Street. I avoid Newbury unless I have a specific reason to be there like getting something at the hardware store or CVS.

The business community has destroyed the architecture on Newbury and the visual clutter, with signs everywhere, makes for an unpleasant experience. I'm a photographer so I may be more sensitive to tacky marketing than most people.

That said, I'm not a shopper or fashionista, so the majority of the businesses on the street have little to offer to me. I do enjoy visiting some of the art galleries but that again is a specific trip where I will enter Newbury near the one I want and get off the street right after.

I even find myself drawn less and less to the few place I like for sidewalk cafe dining on Newbury because the atmosphere has changed so much over the years I've lived here.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help organizing please-overwhelmed

Agreed, Penny,. Marlborough may be devoid of commercial activity, but I think it's one of the prettiest streets in Boston.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help organizing please-overwhelmed

J5CUB, you have Lexington Common (actually called Lexington Battle Green) lumped in with a lot of Boston attractions. You do realize that Lexington is well outside the city, I trust. While I consider Lexington and Concord well worth a visit, they make for a full day trip, which would be in addition to your Rockport visit. I wouldn't recommend two day trips on a visit as short as yours. If it comes down to choosing one or the other, that would depend on whether you're more interested in Revolutionary/literary history or coastal scenery.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help organizing please-overwhelmed

Marlborough is worth a walk! And while you're there, I suggest walking over the foot bridge at Beacon and Berkeley St (one block from Marlborough) and taking a relaxing stroll along the Charles River Esplanade. You can rent Hubway bikes if you'd like to bike along the river path- its cheap! You can head east on the path (or Marlborough St.) and wind up near Boston Common and the public gardens very quickly.

The other activities you mentioned which are nearby, in the Back Bay area, are the Real Cheers, Boylston, Atlantic Fish (on boylston), Prudential Tower (and if you're looking for a drink or meal with a view, try Top of the Hub which is a restaurant at the top of the Prudential). Also, Duck Tours depart nearby, on Huntington Ave.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help organizing please-overwhelmed

I agree that areas of Back Bay are just lovely and the architecture plays a big roll. I know some forum members don't quite get the appeal of Back Bay. It's not necessarily about shopping. It's just about strolling and soaking it all in.