We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to Stay in Boston area July/Early August 2014?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheltenham, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Best place to Stay in Boston area July/Early August 2014?

Hi,

Would anyone have a recommendation for accommodation (hotel or b+b) that meets the following requirements for a trip to Boston of 3-4 days at the very end of July or beginning of August 2014 please?

1 room for 2 people (ensuite is a must)

budget $200 per night including taxes and parking

Walking distance to the T/Subway line to be able to get into downtown + Fenway (doesn't matter how far out of Boston we are as long as we can get to downtown via the T/Subway in less than 30 mins)

Reasonable walking distance (1 mile approx) to dining options (fine with chains e.g. Chilis, Applebees etc.)

Hotel/B+B facilities such as gyms, restaurants etc. are totally unimportant to us, but free wifi is important

Any suggestions of where to start our search will be greatly appreciated and if there are any other pieces of information that I can provide that will help I will gladly do so

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to Stay in Boston area July/Early August 2014?

Why not skip the car rental (and the associated parking costs), apply that to the $200 per room budget, and then stay in the city?

Cheltenham, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to Stay in Boston area July/Early August 2014?

Thank you for getting back to me, our trip to Boston will be at the beginning of a 3-4 week tour taking in all of the new england states as well as Toronto and Montreal, so a car will be essential as we will be arriving with lots of luggage and be covering lots of miles after leaving Boston.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to Stay in Boston area July/Early August 2014?

Since Boston appears to be at the start, you could consider renting the car when ready to leave Boston.

Cheltenham, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to Stay in Boston area July/Early August 2014?

Thank you again.

That certainly would be an option, but I'm not sure I fancy it that much as we will be arriving with quite a bit of luggage and going from the airport to Boston with the luggage and then back to the airport to collect a car (as that is where we would drop it off before our flight) seems to me more of an inconvenience than staying further out of Boston with a lower budget.

As such, are there particular locations that I should look for to scour the helpful tripadvisor reviews of that town/suburb's hotels and B+Bs?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,760 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to Stay in Boston area July/Early August 2014?

Look at The Suburban extended Stay or the Inn at Crystal Cove in Winthrop MA. It is a tiny suburban town near the airport. Both properties are one block from the beach. the inn has a pool.

There are several restaurants, a convenience store, an ice cream parlor and a great breakfast spot all within a 10-16 minute walk from both places.

Form there you can take a bus to theOriient Heights subway station and ride 4 stops to downtown Boston. Or you can drive to the station and park for $5 and save some time.

That said, I think staying downtown will be a better experience but downtown hotels charge $40/day to store your car. You can find cheaper parking ($27 - $35) but it may not be convenient to your hotel. It is sort of dilly to rent a car just to carry luggage. You will still need to get from the airport terminal to the shuttle bus to the rental place .... But ultimately it is your vacation so you make the plans, not me.

For those reading this looking for ideas. The Orient Heights station is closed for rebuilding. It is scheduled to reopen Oct 2013 ... So it is good for this poster but may not be as convenient for those travelling before November.

HAPPY PLANNING!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to Stay in Boston area July/Early August 2014?

You could also try the suburbs of Quincy or Braintree, but really what's the point of renting a car at the beginning of your stay and then staying outside the city but not going anywhere except in the city? When you stay in the suburbs I would assume you'll take the T into the city b/c if you drive, then you have to pay for parking. Factor in the costs of the T as well when you're making your decision.

7. Re: Best place to Stay in Boston area July/Early August 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:21