We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

Hello

We are staying in this area next week. It's a bit short notice. We thought we would be staying somewhere else. What's the area like? How far are we going to be from downtown Boston, Freedom trail, Fenway Park and so on?

Thank you

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

It is not Boston. It is a separate town. I often recommend hotels in town as a less expensive alternative to downtown. But with lower cost hotels comes the need to commute. The Atlantis is new construction, up market condos. It is very close to Dunin donuts, a laundromat, a sandwich/pizza shop and the well-loved Belle Isle Seafood.

You can also walk to Winthrop center in about 10-15 minutes where you will find other options, including BBQ

If you don't have a car you will need to take a bus to the subway and ride a few stops to the downtown area. The closest subway stop is closed for renovations. The local bus will take you to the wood island stop of the blue line on weekdays and the airport stop on weekends.

You are about 20 minutes from Fanieul hall by car, and 45-60 mins by public transportation, depending on how well you connections are timed.

There is a ferry but it isn't all that close to the Atlantis and I am not sure if it is still running.

Happy Planning!

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

Oh dear. Were you expecing to stay on a houseboat at Pier 8 at the Navy Yard? We heard on Tuesday evening from the owners of the houseboat we had booked to stay at from Saturday 21st September that due to a legal situation their boat was being moved from the Navy Yard to Winthrop. I looked at the location of Winthrop and the transport connections into Boston and decided straight away that it wasn't for us. I asked for a refund and got it immediately. We have now rebooked to stay in a lovely old house in Charlestown but I think we have been very lucky, there isn't much choice out there at such short notice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

I actually think Winthrop is a great place to stay. Not sure where the Atlantis Marina is but I am familiar with the Crystal Cove Inn and the Winthrop Yacht Club area, been to events there, know people who live in the town. Beautiful beautiful views of the city. Lovely area, beach in walking distance, boats, lovely. Nice Italian restaurants there. There's a bus that goes to the subway station from there. It's probably fifteen minutes to the Blue line Orient Heights/Wood Island and then another 10-15 minutes to Aquarium Station or State Street downtown, so no it's not central. Because of it's waterfront beauty, I'd honestly rather stay in Winthrop than in Charlestown. There are gorgeous views of the city skyline in Winthrop. It's a safe area to walk at night. And it's a half hour tops to downtown. On the other hand, Charlestown has a lot of history. If you're near the Monument, you should be okay.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 14:20
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

Oh---Just read Forgot's post. I do know where that is. It's a bit further up from the Yacht club, closer to the city. Belle Isle seafood is amazing. Practically on the runway to Logan. There's an outer perimeter to the airport there. Beautiful city views. You could walk to the T from that Dunkin Donuts. There's a lovely marsh there where Winthrop becomes East Boston. Not a bad place to stay at all.

Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

I really appreciate the comments. We are going to stick with this and stay in Winthrop. We are arriving from overseas so it will all be an adventure! Would there be bars or pubs in the area as well as restaurants? We will probably spend the day sightseeing and return to the area for the evening. What would the cost be for taxis from downtown Boston to Atlantis Marina?

Thank you all

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

A taxi from downtown would probably be similar to what you'd pay from the airport. Not cheap. Winthrop has its own town taxi, Viking. To save money, if you don't like the idea of the bus, you could take a Winthrop taxi from one of the Blue LIne T stations: Wood Island or Orient Heights...

Viking Taxi

464 Shirley Street

Winthrop, MA 02152

(617) 846-6000

The bus info, fyi, is here:

www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/private_bus/…

If you take the bus, confirm the T station for pickup as they have been leaving from Wood Island during Orient Heights construction. I'd just call ahead if you plan to use the bus so that you're going to the right station.

I'm not sure what they have for bars near the town center. I'm most familiar with the Crystal Cove area. D'Parma's and Belle Isle are both not to be missed for food.

yelp.com/biz/belle-isle-lobster-and-seafood-… (Not much for ambiance but good fish and chips. Better to go than to eat in)

yelp.com/biz/…27parmas (very nice ambiance. Delicious Italian food)

Someone else will have to weigh in on any bars in the area.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 23:01
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

Thank you. Any more suggestions greatly appreciated.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

My kids use the bus regularly. You get it at wood island M-F and airport on Sat & Sun

Only private clubs can have real "bars" all others must serve food in order to serve alcohol. Belle Isle moved and expanded late last year. I know for certain they sell beer and wine. Maybe more

In Winthrop center, Black Strap BBq is BYOB. Swett's liquor is nearby, they sell cold beer

Also in the center area you will find Hong Kong Dragon (Chinese), La Siesta (Mexican) and Paesan's (Italian). The all have full bars.

In the highlands is the Winthrop Arms. It has old style, traditional Amercan food ... Steaks, chops, seafood, Etc. they have full drink service and a very pretty lobby for a before or after dinner drink.

D'Parma's, mentioned above and Cafe Rosetti are near the beach. They are Byob.

Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

Great. Thank you so much for all the information.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atlantis Marina, Winthrop area

One last thing ... Don't hesitate to use a taxi within Winthrop, they are accustomed to short trips. You don't hail them on the street, you need to call. Viking taxi, listed above is fine. Also, Winthrop taxi is good too. 617-539-9999

I would even consider calling them to pick you up at the airport cuz most of the Boston Cabbies don't know Winthrop and you would need to give directions.