We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in boston

Me and my future wife are looking to spend 7 days between boston and New York. We were just wondering what places would be good to see probably be doing 3 nights in boston any hotel recommendations that are well located but we are on a bit of a budget. Probably get the train to New York.

One place we are going to visit is salem and I want to do the freedom trail. Any more advice would be great.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in boston

Congrats on your forthcoming wedding. We can give you recommendations, no problem, but prices vary by the season (and within seasons) so to get meaningful advice, you need to be more specific - what is your budget and when are you coming, do you like modern contemporary hotels, chain hotels, traditional or boutique etc etc.

In terms of what to do, again depends on your preferences but in no particular order, here's a random list of options:

Waterfront, whale watching, Aquarium, Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. Freedom Trail, USS Constitution, North End for fab italian food and neighbourhood, Boston Common and Public Gardens, walk Beacon Hill. Drinks at 21st Amendment and either Last Hurrah or Parker's bar inside the Omni Parker House hotel (packed with history eg Dickens read a Christmas Carol there and you can still dine at the very table the JFK proposed to Jackie in Parker's restaurant - there's a romantic suggestion!). Do a duck or trolley tour. Take a birds eye view of the city from the Prudential Skywalk. Shoping - newbury St, Copley and Prudential Malls and Downtown Crossing for Macy's. Eat in Legal Seafoods. Be sure to find a couple of hours and take the red line to Harvard Square. Visit the JFK musum and library and possibly a Sam Adams brewery tour. Take in a game at Fenway or at TD Northbank, check out shows at Symphony Hall, the Opera House or TD Northbank. And I haven't even started on museums.............

So you will have to prioritise what's important to you, Boston has so much to see and do. Fabulous city, fabulous people and I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon. My tip would be do it in reverse. New York is fabulous - but it is so busy, fast-paced that it's nice to see it, then have a more relaxing 2nd half in Boston - brilliant city but you can do it at a more relaxed pace.

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in boston

We are going to be in boston on 15th april if that helps

.We are heading down to Florida for 10days after New York for a bit warmer climate and to relax after all the travelling and site seeing in the 1st week.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in boston

okay. Still don't know your budget so here's some recommendations.

Traditional luxury - Boston Harbour hotel

Traditional/historic - Omni Parker House

Contemporary - Liberty/Intercontinental

Boutique - Nine Zero/Ames

Other options in good location - Millennium Bostonian/Marriott Long Wharf.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in boston

You are getting close to Easter so this might be reflected in the prices.

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in boston

If really like it under $100 a night even less if possible it's all starting to get quite expensive with a 17night honeymoon. And flights from the uk and back. That's before spending money. I really don't want bottom budget hotel but somewhere that is clean and tidy. Purely to just sleep in. I don't mind staying out of town and getting a train or bus in if it works out cheaper.

We are really stretching to our limits with this but feel we may never do it again so trying to cram everything in as cheap as possible while not staying in a total mess.

I hope this is a bit clearer

Edited: 14 September 2013, 11:53
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in boston

There's no way you'll get a hotel for under $100 in Boston. Personally I'd recommend shortening your hm and spending a bit more per night in a nice place.

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in boston

Maybe we will have to rethink what we want to do how much am I looking at roughly a night in boston. I don't mind travelling from out of town if we are close to public transport.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in boston

You are being totally unrealistic if that is your budget for lodging in Boston or New York.

Using an arrival date of 4/15 for 3 nights, i see that at hostelling international You can get a private room with private en suite bath for $140 the first night and $150 each of the next two nights. For ONE bed in a standard "dormitory" it is $45 the first night and $50 the next two and a hostel dorm isn't very romantic.

For what it is worth, by American standards, a 17 day honeymoon would be considered a dream ... A week is much more common ... Money aside, many would have be reluctant or unable to take that much time off from work.

If you stay far outside the city near commuter rail one round trip to Boston per day will be $20+ per person.

One last idea ... Check out lodging in Winthrop Mass. It is relatively close and you would need to take a bus $1.25 and a subway $2.50 to Boston. Look at Suburban extended Stay hotel, the Inn at Crystal Cove and Harrington B&B (shared bath).

Congrats on your upcoming wedding

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in boston

Now that is more up our street a private little apartment they seem great and price is very good thank you very much just need to find some similar in New York any ideas how to do this. And thanks once again.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in boston

in that case ignore all my suggestions - you won't get a hotel for anywhere close to $100 so sorry but I can't help on this one.