We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a Reminder....

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,671 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just a Reminder....

A pet peeve of mine is the making of the Public Garden and Boston Common into a plural. Would you please do me a large favor if responding to a post and recheck that you are using the singular for both the Public Garden and Boston Common - which means no "s" on either. Thanks for your indulgence.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a Reminder....

Alan, I was helping a visitor find something on their Beantown trolley tour maps this week and the map had it wrong. The Boston Common was correct but the Public Garden was made into a plural.

…attractionsuite.com/UploadImages/Beantown-T…

Made me wonder about the quality of the rest of their information.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
6,562 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a Reminder....

I don't know why, but it drives me crazy, too.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a Reminder....

It happens all time. If you correct everyone you'll get a headache and some find it rude. Just let it go.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,418 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a Reminder....

And the New Yorkers complain about Time Square. They want the S. lol

5. Re: Just a Reminder....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 September 2013, 13:35
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just a Reminder....

Lol wp. I totally agree on the map complaint. Google maps is a fabulous invention. I must use it myself at least once a day.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just a Reminder....

I agree that the "fake" plural annoys me as well. But, it's one of a long list of things, and for whatever reason people are insistent on adding those "S" to the words.

Other annoyances: Boston does NOT have a "Little Italy", or a "North Boston". There is no "Downtown Boston" that I'm aware of.

I'm sure the list is longer, but I'll stop there...

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just a Reminder....

Oh come on guys - just cherish the fact that so many of us adore the city of Boston and its people and its sights - if we are prepared to spend significant amounts of money travelling to and spending in your beautiful city, does it REALLY matter if someone inadvertently adds the occasional 's' to their typing? This is not an english language website - it's a site for potential visitors to seek help from those who know this wonderful city.

So get over yourselves, focus on the positives and recognise what Tripadvisor is really about - not what you want it to be.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just a Reminder....

Of course it doesn't really matter, any more than it really matters whether I get over myself.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just a Reminder....

Little Italy happens more than some realize. It's another thing I let roll off my back. Rather than correct people, thanking them for their tourist dollars seems a better way to go.