We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Providence RI

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Providence RI

Looking for a couple of good places to visit overnight within an hour or so of Boston. Travelling just before Christmas. Thought of Providence, any good ? are there others? Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Providence RI

You have a car? What's your criteria?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Providence RI

What do you mean by criteria? Transport not an issue. I'm just asking for suggestions for a couple of good places to stay over close to Boston, and if Providences is worth visiting.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Providence RI

What interests you? Providence is a little city that recently developed a riverfront attraction that won't be much fun in December. If you visit Providence, beware rush hour traffic. They have not had a "big dig" as we did in Boston, so the capacity is not great.

Lots of folks go to Newport. Personally, I like going up the Maine coast. To the Cape, even in winter. Maine is picturesque with the rocky shoreline and lighthouses and the Cape has a kind of desolate beauty in offseason. The weather in December can be awful, so keep that in mind. Seaside attractions often close for the season. .

Do you ski? VT,ME NH have ski lodges, North Conway is a nice area up in the mountains.

If you prefer cities, NYC is about four hours away.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 20:04
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Providence RI

Thanks, is there a particular town to look for in Maine?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Providence RI

The closest place in Maine is a bit more than an hour from Boston. Consider Portsmouth, New Hampshire, which is lively year round. Any of the nearby Maine coastal towns are nice, but they'll be pretty sleepy at that time of year, and as noted, they're farther away.

I'm also fond of Salem, Massachusetts, which is quite close.

Providence is certainly "any good," but kind of a secondary tourist destination. I don't think I'd choose it in December.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Providence RI

Providence has providence place mall and federal hill. You may want to read up on that forum. Newport is nice and some of the mansions will be open.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Providence RI

Portland, Maine, is knows for good restaurants and would be a city to keep you occupied for a day or two. It's about two hours from Boston and there is train service between Portland and Boston.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Providence RI

Providence has Federal Hill with a number of Italian restaurants, a big mall downtown and a very interesting but small art museum at RISD, but not too much else in terms of sightseeing, especially in winter. I like Portland, Maine because of the sheer number of interesting small restaurants, food shops, local beers, etc., and it is always lively, even in winter. It is about 2 hours from Boston. Lexington and Concord are about an hour away and there are Revolutionary war sites there, although some will be closed for the winter, and the interesting Concord Museum.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Providence RI

I'd skip Providence and opt for Newport if you'e coming to RI.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Providence RI

Thanks, thats all helpful, will look up portland.