We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston in winter + train to NY

SA
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Boston in winter + train to NY

Hello

We are making our first trip to the States at the end of December, and will be in Boston from 2 Jan to 5 Jan, and will then be travelling to NY by train. The Acela seems to be 45 mins quicker, but much more expensive than the North East regional. Is it worth the premium ? On the North East regional is there a significant difference between "economy" and "business class".

As a second question, are there any areas that are more suitable to stay at the time of year (winter). We are not really used to the cold, and I am a little worried that I'm going to hate it because of the weather, but we won't visit the States for a while yet and Boston is definitely on my must see list ....

Thanks for the help.

S

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston in winter + train to NY

Because there's so little time difference and the cost differential is steep, many folks opt for the regional train. The economy seats are fine, especially since it's only for 4 hours and you can walk around. Much cheaper even are the busses.

If the cold and snow might be an issue for you, try for one of the hotels attached to the Copley Place and Prudential Shopping Centers, so you'll have plenty of indoor options for shopping, food, transport, etc. These include the Marriott Copley Place, Westin Copley Place and Sheraton Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston in winter + train to NY

Check out the Lenox hotel as well.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston in winter + train to NY

Re: weather

Boston (and NY) can be very windy and raw in the winter. The key is dressing properly: layers with a good coat; scarf, hat, gloves, good shoes with good socks... You may even consider thermal underwear.

Beyond that, winter can be a lot of fun, if only for the challenge of getting from place A to B. If you get cold, stop in somewhere for some "anti-freeze" - you are on vacation after all. Plan indoor activities especially if it turns very cold. Museums, shopping, indoor historic sites and buildings. Plus, you get to shiver and complain about how cold it is each time you come inside. :-) If it snows, all the better.

If you look at the cold as a new and different experience with its own stark beauty, you will be much happier than simply missing the sun, flowers and greenery. Remember, people live and work in it daily, so it can't be toooooo bad. Bon voyage!

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston in winter + train to NY

The suggestion of staying in Copley Place or Prudential is a sound one. The hotels are attached to large malls and there is a sky bridge connecting them, so you don't have to go outside to get to shopping and other places. Hopefully, you will venture outside and see our city when you are here. It's unfortunate that you are visiting during the worst of the winter season, but if you are very lucky, you will get moderately cold and dry weather, rather than bitter cold and snow.

As for the train, the Acela is really geared towards business people. If you aren't in a great rush or you aren't trying to do a return trip in the same day, I wouldn't bother spending the extra money.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston in winter + train to NY

The regular train is perfectly comfortable and nice.

SA
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston in winter + train to NY

Thank you all for the responses! The regular train it will be ..

While I am complaining about the cold - I'm still hoping for snow :-)

Thanks again!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston in winter + train to NY

I'll also chime in with the Back Bay recommendation. Even if you aren't directly connected to the sky bridges and shopping complex, it's a neighborhood that seems a bit more sheltered in winter (vs being right on the water), and it's full of interesting shops, bars, cafes etc so there is always a place to pop in and warm up.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston in winter + train to NY

Snowbeing: I just returned from a trip to SA two weeks ago, and we did have some snow there. Granted, it was on top of Table Mountain, but I hear it was a very rare event. Of course, the next day when I was on the mountain, it was warm and sunny. You won't be that lucky here in January, unfortunately.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston in winter + train to NY

An additional reason why the hotels in the Copley Place and Prudential malls are a good idea is that the Back Bay (BBY) train/subway station is attached to the Copley Place mall.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 20:07
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston in winter + train to NY

Good choice on the Northeast Regional you will save money.