We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Boston area

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Boston area

My husband and I are flying into Boston from Australia. We have 4 days to explore the area. We thought 2 nights in Boston and 2 nights somewhere else. We will hire a car.

Any ideas - do we head for Newburyport area or say Manchester direction? We enjoy natural beauty, good food, good wine and local produce. My hubby is a photographer - would the fall colours be best seen anywhere particular?

Good B & B's anywhere in either Boston or the surrounding areas?

Thanks for your input - really looking forward to this.

Bev

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Boston area

When are you coming?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Boston area

Good question - thanks! We are in Boston Oct 12th through Oct 16th :)

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,844 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Boston area

You are coming for Columbus Day weekend, which is the absolute peak for Autumn tourism in the area. You may have difficulty finding lodging at this late date.

Most Boston hotels are in the $400/night range during that time period and many are sold out. Boston B&B's won't necessarily be inexpensive and I'd expect most to be sold out, at least during the weekend. What is your budget?

For your stay outside of Boston, during the weekend many inns will be sold out or have minimum stay requirements. If you go during the week, you should have better options.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Boston area

Don't give up! If you work on it now, I'm sure you will find a place. But it is the peak time. By "Manchester" do you mean Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts, or Manchester New Hampshire? I know, it's a dumb name, but Manchester-BTS is really a beautiful town. It could be a good base for looking around, although it would not by itself give enough to do for two days. You might want to also consider Gloucester, which has a lot to see. Or just take anything you can get between Salem and the New Hampshire border, including all of Cape Ann. It's a gorgeous area, lots to see and it doesn't matter that much what town you stay in. Some areas are better than others, of course, but no matter what you will be able to drive to lots of beautiful stuff. Once you have a few choices, come back if you like to ask us for more help. By the way, if it works out to stay in Boston the whole time, you can easily take some day trips to some other areas to get some rural beauty and historic towns, etc. Sometimes it is nice to keep a hotel base for a longer period of time. There are lots of posts on this board about day-trips from Boston. Some are reachable by public transport, some would require a car.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,150 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Boston area

Between Haunted Happenings in Salem MA and the Topsfeild Fair, finding lodging between Boston andvthe New Hampshire Border will be tricky.

I suggest the White Miuntains of NH. The towns of North Conway, Jackson, Glen, Bartlett, Lincoln and Woodstock would all work. Post on the NH forum for better advice.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
167 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Boston area

It is a very busy time in the area but you may find something, you may want to try Somerville or Quincy that would allow public transport access for your days in Boston. As it is leaf peeping time, instead of north, you can head west to the Berkshires where there will be plenty of autumn color and less traffic. Stockbridge, Lenox are lovely. There may be some deals to be had on Cape Cod as it is the very end of their season or you can head to the mansions of Newport which are still open in October.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Boston area

Really appreciate everyones input - we had no idea what weekend we were flying in on!! This has been helpful and we are very much looking forward to our time in Boston and the cape. We are going to head south for a couple of days and then back into Boston once the weekend is over.

Thanks again.....

8. Re: 4 days in Boston area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 05:19