We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
215 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

Hi there!

We are flying in from London to Orlando via Boston (BOS) on Saturday with Delta, and as we've never had a layover before, I'm keen to make sure we get everything right and don't delay ourselves resulting in a missed connection to Orlando.

We're arriving at Terminal E and need to get the connecting flight from Terminal A :-)

So I was wondering, what's the fastest route to terminal A? (bearing in mind that I guess we'll have to need to check the baggage back in first - I think?).

With a connection like this do we have to go through immigration in Boston, or will this happen at our final destination when we reach MCO? If we have to go through immigration in Boston, can I assume this will take place at terminal E when we first land?

Because we'll be on a time limit (2 hours to get the Orlando flight), is there an 'express' queue for people who need to get through quickly for their connection? Or do we just have to hope for the best and queue up in the regular queue?

I'm a bit concerned because last year when we went to Orlando (albeit on a direct flight from London), immigration at Orlando took almost 4 hours! I'm a little fearful that this might be the case again when we reach Boston immigration and that we'll miss the connecting flight.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

You can take a free massport bus from the curb over to terminal A. total time with wait is ten minutes or so.

You will clear customs and immigration at Logan and there's no express line that I know of.

Massport.com

Logan is pretty good and the average time is an hour but 90 minutes can easily happen.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 14:22
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

You should have plenty of time to clear Customs at Terminal E. You can then take the free Massport Shuttle bus from the Ground Transportation area, to the other terminals. Make sure you take the right bus. There are two routes. It should say on the sign on front, or ask the Driver when you get on.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

Walking from E to A will be faster

follow signs for the Terminal A and the Hilton Logan Hotel ( see airport map )

no need to go outside the terminal

Edited: 01 October 2013, 15:22
Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
215 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

Thank you so much guys! :-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

Boston International Terminal (Terminal E) is not as crowded as the other cities, so you should be able to get through the immigration fast.

Even though you need to travel to a different terminal for the local flight to Orlando, I would check with the Delta counter in International Terminal about dropping your bags for the connection. Most US airports have a facility/counter to drop your bags after Customs for the connecting flights

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
215 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

Sorry for yet more questions!

Could I be a real nuisance and ask one of you to possibly walk me through the process from the moment we arrive in Boston please? This whole layover/connecting flight situation is completely new to us!

Basically I'm wondering what we do once we leave the plane after arriving in Boston - Do we head directly to immigration and after that collect our bags from the conveyor, queue up at another check-in desk and check our bags in again before heading to the Terminal A departure gate?

Also, would I be right to assume that the departure gate will close 30mins before take off for the domestic leg? Wow this doesn't give us much time :-(

Am I worrying too much?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

Follow the crowd. They'll first go to Immigration. People traveling on a passport other than a US one (you) have a designated line. Signs are very clear, so look for them.

After that, you'll have no choice but to go down a set of stairs to Baggage Claim.

After that, you have no choice but to go through Customs line.

After that, you have no choice but to go through doors to outer terminal area, where people wait to pick up their friends/relatives. You can see the exterior doors the minute you get through these doors.

Go outside, and look for the sign to the bus area. Again, very clearly marked.

You really won't have any problem. Good luck!

Edit: When I say you'll have no choice, I only mean there IS no other way to go. I sounded like someone was taking you on a forced march :)

Edited: 01 October 2013, 19:13
Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
215 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

Hi Happygoin - thank you so much for that, sounds pretty straightforward!

Now I just have to hope we don't face any huge queues at immigration! :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

You can always ask the flight attendant too if you're nervous. They will point you in the right direction.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question re Logan Airport - terminals and immigration

Massport just made taking the bus easier. It's right outside at the first sidewalk.