We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best seafood chowder in Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best seafood chowder in Boston

I am a big fan of seafood chowder and will be in Boston in December. Where do the locals go for the best seafood chowder?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best seafood chowder in Boston

Do you mean clam chowder?

Ned Devines, Legal Seafoods, Yankee Lobster, James Hook ....

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best seafood chowder in Boston

Yankee lobster also does a great fish stew.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best seafood chowder in Boston

Yes I did mean clam chowder - called seafood chowder in Australia :) thanks for the tips

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best seafood chowder in Boston

We have clam chowder, fish chowder AND seafood chowder.

New England Clam Chowder is the most popular. (There is another version of clam chowder called Manhattan style but it is not very popular in the Boston area and thankfully hard to find!)

I like Mahj's list for Clam Chowder.

I will add Top Of The Hub and Boston Chowder Factory to her list.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,879 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best seafood chowder in Boston

Traditional New England clam chowder has everything in a small dice, including the clams. It will be quite different than the type of seafood chowder Aussies make, which has larger chunks of fish and whole shellfish (prawns, scallops, etc). We are more likely to call that a seafood stew (though there is no hard and fast rule).

Just didn't want you to be disappointed!

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best seafood chowder in Boston

Yes, as mentioned above I hope you aren't expecting a chowder like the one you would get at home. It is guaranteed not to resemble what you are used to at home. Of course, that should be part of the fun, right?

Legal seafood, Atlantic Fish, Yankee Lobster, Boston Chowda Company (in the Quincy Market food court...also makes a killer Lobster Bisque), and a perennial winner of Chowderfest (2010/2012)-Anthem restaurant in Quincy Market.

http://www.anthem-boston.com/

Edited: 07 October 2013, 16:45
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best seafood chowder in Boston

Legal Seafood is always reliable - so much so it has served clam chowder to Presidential Inaugurations. My choice would be Ned Devine's - it's an Irish themed bar upstairs in the Quincy Market building.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best seafood chowder in Boston

Definitely not expecting what we get here. I loved the clam chowder in San Francisco and hear that Boston make a better one ;)

Thanks everyone!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best seafood chowder in Boston

Boston does. But San Francisco has superior sourdough bread to finish it off with.

Now, you're likely to see a plaque on the wall of every seafood restaurant in Boston saying that they have been recognized by some organization as serving "The #1 Chowder in Boston". You can't go wrong if you follow any of the suggestions here. But some of these are counter service, and so you can probably add "deal" to "best".

I would add Turner Fisheries (sit down) restaurant in the Westin Copley Place hotel. (I don't have any connection to them.)

Edited: 08 October 2013, 11:41
10. Re: Best seafood chowder in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 06:22