We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October itinerary

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stevens Point...
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
October itinerary

Have been reading through posts trying to pull together a somewhat last minute trip to Boston next week. We would like to incorporate the Pumpkin display in Providence, a trip to Salem, some fall foliage viewing, and a full day in Boston. Only have 5 days/4 nights. Thinking of flying to BOS arriving about noon, afternoon/evening in Salem, hotel somewhere?, next day in BOS, hotel?, then renting car and fall foliage drive, hotel/inn along route, next day to PVD, hotel/zoo that night, fly out of PVD in morning. Thought or suggestions on this itinerary? Appreciate the help!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,760 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October itinerary

I suspect you will have trouble finding one night lodging in Salem. Between Haunted Happenings and the Topsfeild fair, many places between Boston and the NH border will be booked solid, and lots of hotels in that area are inaccessible without a car. I suggest you spend 2 nights in Boston and use the ferry or commuter rail to travel between Salem and Boston.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 14:20
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,351 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October itinerary

It's Columbus Day weekend and the peak time for visiting the area. Even locals take off for a weekend driving trip somewhere scenic. I'd start first with figuring out whether you can handle the cost of what last minute Boston accommodations will cost.

Getting hotels and inns along a foliage route may be challenging as well. Many places will be booked and some will have minimum stay requirements. You may want to do the foliage drive on weekdays and stay in the city on weekends.

You might want to consider delaying a week. There should still be peak color in lots of areas relatively near Boston. yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/ will show you foliage forecasts by date.

Doing a one-way car rental can be pricey. Doing a simple round trip from Boston would make more sense than getting a return flight out of PVD, unless you plan to train to PVD and rent a car there.

Stevens Point...
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October itinerary

We would be arriving Weds 10/16 (so after Columbus day business). Would this sound feasible....Fly into Boston arriving around noon, public transport (need help here) to Salem for afternoon/evening, ferry/train back to Boston for hotel Weds night, Thursday spend day in Boston, evening take train to Providence, hotel near Providence airport maybe? (? tx from Amtrak to hotel? taxi? car rental at Amtrak?) Friday use car to fall color tour, Friday night accomodations---??, Saturday return to Providence, hotel near airport, zoo pumpkings that evening, Sunday fly out of Providence after returning rental car. Thanks for any advice!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,760 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October itinerary

Ok. Topsfeild fair will be over but there are only a handful of hotels in the salem area. How much luggage will you have? Do you really want to take it to Salem?

Why not see Boston first and go to Salem the 2nd afternoon?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October itinerary

Are you sure you want to fly out of Providence -- there could be an extra cost, although perhaps that is insignificant. Personally I think you are considering too many hotel/lodging changes. Many of these things are not all that far from each other. For a trip this short, I'd advocate only two different hotels.

Also there is the Salem single night hotel problem. Maybe you want to work on that first. If you cannot get a hotel for 1 night in Salem, then just do a day trip to Salem. The commuter trains go between Salem and Boston, so this is feasible. And if that is the case, do Salem on your second day (otherwise it's too short since you arrive about noon the first day which really means you won't be ready to look around until 2 at the earliest).

In Providence, the things you are concerned about are fairly close together. The Amtrak station is in downtown Providence. Most hotels will be a reasonable taxi ride to the airport. How about this: Stay in Boston two nights (doing Salem on day two of your trip). On day 3, do a bit more in Boston before getting the train to Providence (this is a very short visit to Boston, but it seems to be what you want). Evening of day 3 you have dinner and stay in your hotel in PRO. Then day 4 you have the full day and evening in Providence.

An alternative, however, would be to get a regular round trip flight to Boston, and treat Providence as another day trip. There are both Amtrak and commuter (local MBTA) trains from Boston to Providence, plus buses.

Stevens Point...
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October itinerary

One other thought...if we flew into either airport (prices same for each) and booked a hotel b/t Boston and Prov (less$$) is it feasible to drive into BOS and park for the day or take public transit in? Looking at Choice hotels (member) b/t Prov/ Bos. Thanks again!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,760 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October itinerary

Yes it is feasible to drive into Boston and park. It will cost $28 or more to park in on a weekday in most garages. You could drive to a subway station and park for around $8. Then it will cost $5/per person round trip to make the commute.

I don't think you realize how close Providence is to Boston. Amtrak goes there but so does our commuter rail. That is because people who live in Providence commute to work in Boston.

I think you should stay carfree in Boston. See Boston and Salem. Rent a car do one night in providence, see you pumpkin and return to Boston.

I can't figure out where you are budget-wise, but often there is a surcharge to pick a car up at one location and return it to another. Some think to keep in mind, if it matters to you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: October itinerary

There's also a Pumpkin Festival in Weston next Saturday I believe if you want to stay in Mass. I would pick a hub like Boston and take day trips.

9. Re: October itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 05:18