We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young Couple in Boston in December

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Young Couple in Boston in December

Hi everyone,

Me and my boyfriend are going up to Boston for 2 nights in December the week before Christmas. I am from NYC and he is from FL, but this is both of our first time in Boston. I haven't booked the hotel yet, but are planning to stay at the Parker House, we got a good deal. We are both in our 20's and just looking to have a fun mini-vacation.

We will definitely be doing the Freedom Trail (I know it will be cold), Quincy Market and the Sam Adams Brewery Tour. I was hoping for some other recommendations for activities and restaurants and bars. We like going to historic places, including historic bars and pubs. Seeing we are young nothing too crazy expensive, but would spend a little more than average for good food/environment or views.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated it! Thank you!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young Couple in Boston in December

Sounds fun. First of all, you can pick and choose what you visit on the Freedom Trail (this may be obvious). The whole trail is pretty long, but I really recommend the Charlestown end, with the ship the USS Constitution. Of course, this could depend upon whether the US government has reopened! In fact, I am not sure how many locations on the Freedom Trail are in fact administered by the National Park Service (or other federal body, like the US Navy). Hmmm. Leaving that issue aside . . .

You might consider doing one of the trolley tours because of the hop on hop off aspect. You can decide which things you just want a glimpse of, and which you really want to spend time in. The ship, the Old North Church, the cemeteries, all may be worth extra time. For more history, well, there's a lot. I think it's worth a bit of time to visit Harvard Square and it's easy to get there via subway.

The Sam Adams Brewery is (I hear) a bit hard to get to. Check that out. There is a smaller local well-loved brewery called Harpoon, that may be a lot easier to visit. You'd have to check out their hours. They are in the "Seaport" area of Boston (close to downtown). However, if the Sam Adams is kind of a must for you, you might also check out one of the great old pubs in Boston, called Doyle's, that's in the same general vicinity. I think (not positive) you could walk from Sam Adams over to Doyle's. Doyle's will really give you that old Boston atmosphere. It's full of Kennedy stuff on the walls, too.

Downtown, some other very old restaurants/bars to consider are: Jacob Wirth's, Union Oyster House (especially for the raw bar), Durgin Park, perhaps also the Black Rose. I would recommend getting a seat at Union Oyster at the raw bar, ordering beers and some seafood (even a chowder). You're sitting where many, many famous people have sat. But it's not overall a great food destination.

Some of these are close to Faneuil Hall, so you can group things. Know also that the cool historic part of Faneuil Hall is inside the building, upstairs. I think it's worth a visit. That is also where lots of new citizens get sworn in, and new lawyers too.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,995 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young Couple in Boston in December

What Maxie said...:)

Doyle's is a kick and if you are nearby is a great place to check out. Another fun bar in that JP area is The Haven, which is a Scottish pub and the only place I know of in Boston to get Haggis.

Another old fashioned bar that is a lot of fun, and maybe closer to downtown is JJ Foley's in the South End. It's a great room, with Tin Ceiling, etc. and pretty good food too. They pour a good Guinness pint. It's on East Berekley St. in the South End.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young Couple in Boston in December

"We like going to historic places, including historic bars and pubs. "

Have a drink in the pub Paul Revere used to hang out in, and check out historic Charlestown:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60745-d48…

Boston...
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Young Couple in Boston in December

The Sam Adams Brewery is in Jamaica Plain, and you can get there via the Orange Line, but is a little further from the city compared to Harpoon. If you plan on doing a brewery tour on the weekend, I would go around noon time to make sure you get a tour. It can be pretty busy in the afternoon, and can sell out quickly or have long lines. We went to Sam in the summer around 12:30-1pm and waited about 30-40 minutes. There's no call ahead option or anything like that.

I personally prefer the Harpoon Brewery tour better because the location is a little better, you walk around and learn a little more, and you get a little more to drink. The Harpoon Tour is $5 pp and the Sam tour is by donation. However, the Sam Adams Brewery is fun too.

How about Ice Skating at Frog Pond (if the weather sinks up) or going to a museum like the Museum of Science or the MFA?

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young Couple in Boston in December

youve chosen the best hotel in the city for history - so enjoy a drink in the Last Hurrah and/or Parker's bar in your hotel and soak in the history of Dickens reading a Christmas Carol there and looking the table in Parker's restaurant where JFK proposed to Jackie. Other suggestion is 21st Amendment beside the State House - JFK lived just around the corner and allegedly frequented the rear lounge.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young Couple in Boston in December

Check out The Tam on Tremont St. Later at night it is hipster central and the drinks are cheap. Close your eyes to hygiene issues and just drink from the bottle.

7. Re: Young Couple in Boston in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 06:20