We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Day Trip to Boston Report

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
3 Day Trip to Boston Report

I just came back from my weekend vacation to Boston for the first time. Friday Oct 11- Monday Oct 14, best time to visit Boston. Let me just start by saying that I freaken LOVE Boston. We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in a city called Woburn, which is north of Boston (took us about 20 mins from Logan Airport). Drive to & from Boston wasnt bad at all, maybe it was due to it being the weekend.

It was two adults, plus my 4yo toddler son. I initially purchased a trolley tour (cancelled that, good move on my part.) I had also initially planned on renting bikes to ride around the city, gave up that idea as soon as I arrived in the city. We had a rental car, as I wanted to visit Gillette Stadium. Parking in Boston is EXPENSIVE. We spent about $100 total, paying for unreasonable parking fees. Parking at the Boston Common, as suggested by many, was not possible, as it was ALWAYS full. But that would've been the best option, as it was in the middle of everything.

We walked around the whole area, from Boston Common, to Public Garden, Back Bay, to Beacon Hill. Everything is so close together, and people are everywhere. I got to see lots of foliage, as that was my main purpose in coming to Boston mid October. Boston Common & Public Garden satisfied my need of seeing all the foliage I needed for my photo shoot. It was here that I realized how much I wish to pack and move to Boston. We drove to the North End, and that whole area, just like all areas in Boston are just beautiful.

We drove to Foxboro to visit Gillette Stadium as well as the Hall. I brought a huge poster board sign that read "I traveled 1,743 miles to see you. I <3 you, Brady!!" I had about 10 plus people asking to take my photo, and was interviewed by Andrew Adamson of Channel 12 from Rhode Island. This definitely made my day!!

Even though short, this was the most fulfilling vacation I've had. Will definitely come back to see more!!

Mentioned in this post
Woburn
Woburn
Massachusetts
Back Bay
Back Bay
430 Reviews
Boston, MA
Foxboro
Foxboro
Massachusetts
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 3 Day Trip to Boston Report

Glad you enjoyed Boston and happy you decided against biking it.

Come back during the summer and go out to the Boston Harbor Islands. You'll love both Spectacle and George's Islands for photo opportunities. Your son will go wild exploring Ft Warren on George's Island.

Also, if you do come back for foliage, target the 1st week of Oct and take a few days in the White Mtns of New Hampshire.

Mentioned in this post
George's Island
George's Island
153 Reviews
Boston, MA
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: 3 Day Trip to Boston Report

We have no idea. It could be, but it could also be sunny and warm - or we could be having a snowstorm. You do take your chances.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 3 Day Trip to Boston Report

As the old saying goes, March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb. So you could have snow, rain or sunshine. For what its worth, one of the worse blizzards I ever saw was in mid-April. Wet snow and heavy winds. The snow was piled 8 inches deep, not on top of my car, but on the side AND that was by lunch when we were sent home. My passenger had to get out 3 times to give me a push. I lived on a hill, I got home that day, but the car stayed at the bottom of the hill. BTW, that was way back in '84 or 85, working on Rt 1 in Danvers, driving home on Rt 114 and living in Haverhill.

All that said, there is a "rain/snow" line a few miles inland typically. So that storm may have been 12+ inches in Haverhill and mostly all rain in Boston.

Point being, you never know in New England.

Mentioned in this post
Danvers
Danvers
Massachusetts
Haverhill
Haverhill
Massachusetts
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 3 Day Trip to Boston Report

LOL thanks for the recommendations Kevin. I've been advised to spend time in New Hampshire this past trip, but because I was tight on schedule, I didnt want to waste it outside of Boston. Will definitely take on your advice in my next trip.

Im stuck between Destin in August then Boston again in October or skipping my August beach vacation and coming in around August 14th to attend the Patriots training camp, where I'll possibly get an autograph plus 5 seconds of Tom Brady. But I really really REALLY want to meet/see Brady and see the Patriots practice. As there are no other possible chances of running into him besides practice.

Mentioned in this post
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
46 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 3 Day Trip to Boston Report

You could combine your August trip to Boston with a stay on Cape Cod, if you want a beach vacation. The National Seashore on Cape Cod is beautiful. August is crowded on the Cape, but the water is warmer. Just something to consider...

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 3 Day Trip to Boston Report

Kris....that sounds like an awesome plan! The Patriots training camp for a chance to see Brady is a must.

27. Re: 3 Day Trip to Boston Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 06:21