We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

Indianapolis...
2 posts
Save Topic
need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

Bringing our small business to Boston for three day holiday in November and want to have dinner together somewhere, fun, funky and with a local flavor while we are there....these people are Midwesterners and need some New England exposure...any suggestions?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

New England exposure? Then you definitely need to go to Durgin Park in Quincy Market.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

The Beehive located at 541 Tremont Street is fun & funky.

Check it out to see what you think:

beehiveboston.com/images/…BEEHIVE_dinner.pdf

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

**Durgin park at Quincy Market is very old and serves all sorts of stuff such as prime rib, broiled Schrod, baked beans and Indian pudding. It can get noisy here and long is fun but not a place to conduct business if you really need to

**The restaurant at the Parker House where Parker House Rolls and Boston Cream pie were invented and where JFK proposed to Jackie

** somewhere in the Italian Neighborhood known as the North End. I know Italian food isn't particularly "New Englandy" but it is very "Boston."

So here's a few ideas to get you started. I know you'll get more suggestions

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

I'll only answer if you'll tell the class how you selected your name! (I do acknowledge that pumpkins likely need representation at this time of year, what with all the knife-wielding activities!)

(But I do like the Beehive a lot too!)

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

Durgin Park is as "Olde New England" as there is. I happen to love the place and I go once in a while for a really good Prime Rib and Clam Chowder and Indian Pudding.

http://www.durgin-park.com

I'll venture that to a Midwesterner, a "Boston" experience must be centered around Seafood? One of the best seafood restaurants in the city right now is the Island Creek Oyster Bar. Excellent food and nice atmosphere.

http://www.islandcreekoysterbar.com

As far as other local flavor, a dinner in the North End might work too. Granted, Italian food is fairly common, but the whole experience of the North End, the red checked tablecloths with the Sinatra crooning in the background, that's an East Coast thing (Boston, Hartford, Providence, NYC, Philly, Baltimore).

Cantina Italiana has been around since 1931, and it's the classic Italian-American old world, old school restaurant. For me, that's fun to do once in a while:

http://www.cantinaitaliana.com/

Another option would be to have a Dinner Cruise on Boston Harbor. The boats are very nice and it's a beautiful view out on the water. It may be a bit cold in November, but it's still a lot of fun to do and certainly something you aren't going to do in Indy, I'd think. The food is OK, it's the experience that's fun.

http://www.odysseycruises.com/Boston/home

http://www.spiritofboston.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

Beantownman, why didnt you suggest Cuich Cuchi as you did in a previous post - I've never been but after looking at the website its on my list. Not a fan of Durgan Park - very touristy and no sure midwesterners would appreciate the waitresses:)

If you want something that has a fun atmosphere but isn't terribly expensive, but still would be a lot of fun, you might want to try Cuchi Cuchi in Cambridge. It's a Tapas place with a great fun vibe, excellent cocktails and it's perfect for celebrating.

http://www.cuchicuchi.cc/index.html/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

I was going to say the Beehive, too. After dinner you can go for drinks & bowling at Kings. Or dinner at the Summer Shack which is right next door to Kings.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 23:03
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
185 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

I really like Marliave on Bosworth St (near Boston Common), it is certainly worth a try, has lots of atmosphere, a good menu and plenty of space. I can also recommend the prime rib at Durgin Park, it may be touristy but you gotta love the corn bread. Their chicken pot pie is also tasty. There is also Jacob Wirth (which is a German restaurant) but it has lots of character and I believe they still have a piano player/sing along on Thursday/Friday nights that was fun. If you are here over a weekend there are some nice brunches on Sundays...Henrietta's, Langham Hotel, Blue Room...

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,338 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

Dinner in the North End ( Italian)?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,516 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need fun and funky place to take twenty people to dinner

When you said fun and funky my first thought was Fire and Ice. I'm not a huge fan but I know a lot of people who like it. I went there with a big group before and it worked very well. It's not "New England like" at all though. It's stir fry.