We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant reservations for solo's

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant reservations for solo's

Hi, would you say a solo would be fine walking into restaurants for dinner without a reservation and being able to get a table or even sit at the bar to eat?

I will be there mid-December and am thinking places like Atlantic Fish, Italian restaurants in the North End etc. I just don't know exact dates and times yet for dinner so just walking in would be perfect.

Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,053 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant reservations for solo's

A table for one is the same size as a table for two, so if you do want a table, I'd make a reservation.

You have a better chance to find a seat at the bar to eat, but even then it can get busy and you may have a wait. In the North End you can walk around and see what's available. It will be less crowded during the week.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant reservations for solo's

As one person you probably wont' have too much trouble sitting at a bar, especially if you go on the early side. But as you get closer look on opentable.com and book. You can always cancel.

http://www.opentable.com/boston-restaurants

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant reservations for solo's

Thank you both. I know about OpenTable, I'll see if I have a definite dinner plan closer to the time and might make a reservation.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,070 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant reservations for solo's

I like eating at the bar when dining alone (and sometimes even when I am part of a couple). Sometimes you have to hover and wait a bit (drink in hand), but people cycle through as they get their tables. Unless it's a super packed bar scene, you can usually get a seat within a few minutes, especially since you need just one seat. Connect with a bartender and s/he can alert you when a seat is about to open up.

If you want to stay flexible, you may want to avoid the busiest times on the busiest nights. Worst case scenario is that the restaurant you want has a bar that is jam packed plus a long wait for a table. If that happens, you can just move on to another spot.

Personally, that's what I'd do too. I'd take my chances. The added benefit of that is you get to chose the place with the vibe and menu that appeals to you at the moment.

If you have a particular restaurant in mind for a particular night, post details here or perhaps on the Chowhound.com Boston forum to get advise on how crowded it might be and the best time to go. If you want to just browse neighborhoods deciding at the last minute, that's ok too. I recommend doing some advance research on promising places in particular areas. I like reading yelp reviews and looking at the yelp food photos, but I'm an obsessive foodie.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant reservations for solo's

Good info, christnp. I have been looking at the Chowhound Boston forum and Yelp. It's choosing a place that's difficult at the moment, especially in the North End. I've got a few places in mind and I've got a few weeks to decide.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 10:27
Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant reservations for solo's

As your circadian rhythm will likely be topsy and so "suppertime" may be more flexible, think between 5 and 6, and you should be fine walking in anywhere you want. Otherwise, it's just like Sydney.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant reservations for solo's

Eating at the bar has it's advantages. Bartenders take care of their patrons.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant reservations for solo's

Yeah I think I'll be eating fairly early, especially the first night or two. Thanks.

9. Re: Restaurant reservations for solo's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 06:19