We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

Hi,

I need a hotel room in the city for next Sunday (11/10/13). I have often used this forum to have the "experts" help me identify a Hotwire hotel. Can anyone help with these:

3.5*, Back Bay, $146

4*, Back Bay, $138

4*, Boston Common/Theatre District, $126

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

1. Re: hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 02:51
Edited: 04 November 2013, 02:51
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

I just repeated your search and did not match any of the prices you came up with.

But hotwire's named section and hotels.com have The Park Plaza for $122. Probably a tiny room but great location.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 02:52
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

forgotmypword, you are right, within the last few hours the prices have changed a bit. Here are the updated rates:

3.5*, back bay, $149

4*, back bay, $140

4*, boston common/theatre district, $128

Thanks.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 03:26
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

4* Boston Common / Theatre District Hotel --- currently is showing $131/night (compared at $259) and lists the following amenity set: Free Internet, Boutique, Indoor Pool, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet Access, Tennis Nearby. Appears to be the REVERE HOTEL. Free internet, indoor pool, and 4.5 out of 5.0 TripAdvisor rating are the giveaways.

4* Back Bay / Copley Square --- currently is showing $140/night (compared at $290) and lists the following amenity set: Pet Friendly, Indoor Pool, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet Access, Accessible for the blind. Appears to be the WESTIN BACK BAY HOTEL, though it is not a perfect match. Based on the indoor pool, 4.0 out of 5.0 TripAdvisor rating, and previous wins in that neighborhood, it is my best guess.

3.5* Back Bay / Copley Square --- currently is showing $149/night (compared to $279) --- appears to be the Hilton Boston Back Bay. Not a great deal.

Another property you may want to consider is the 4.5* Back Bay / Copley Square Hotel --- currently is showing $160 per night. That appears to be the Hotel Commonwealth Boston, which has, for a very long time, been ranked the #1 hotel in Boston on TripAdvisor. Its free internet and 5 out of 5.0 TripAdvisor rating are the giveaways.

My top choice would be the Hotel Commonwealth if you can justify the $160/night price tag. That's quite a good deal for that hotel...I have seen standard rooms there selling out for $900+ just a week ago. Granted, it is adjacent to Fenway and this has been quite a week for the Sox, but still...$160 is quite a bargain! The green line inbound is just across the street from the hotel entrance.

The Revere would be my second choice.

AM13

Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

AM13, thanks for all of your help. I just stayed at the Revere a few months ago, getting a great rate on LMT. Hotwire def seems to have the better prices right now.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,561 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

I know its all a matter of timing both of the request and stay but I just got the Revere on LMT for $101 p.n. excl taxes for one week around Thanksgiving which I get the impression is a slower period.

Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

Just did the 4* BC/Theatre District hotel and it was the Revere. Thanks for your help.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

Nice!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

Great news.

I've found with HW and PL, you can sometimes guess, but these services always involve some risk. You need to be at peace with the possibility that you could end up with an unknown in that area and star level.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,561 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotwire help needed - 11/10/13

Let me share what I learned as a first time user of these websites. Maybe handy for other novices like myself. For my upcoming stay in Boston later in the month, I made intensive use of HW, PL, lastminutetravel.com and finally also LMTClub which is a membership service (I think it was like $50 a year), all for the first time. A total newbie who spent hours exploring the sites, reading stuff here and online and learning to suss out with some confidence which hotels could be which hotels.

I didn't get any of the low bids I made on PL and when the amount I was having to bid started to get higher, I was uncomfortable flying blind,especially since I knew that some of the hotels in the * class i could afford on PL, in the area I wanted to be in, could be hotels I knew I didn't want to stay in.

So then I switched my attention to lastminutetravel.com which had some pretty darned good prices. By looking at the "user reviews" I was often able to discover which hotel it was by comparing the distribution of TA ratings shown on lastminutetravel.com to the actual Tripadvisor ratings of specific hotels. So that helped a lot.

I was very intrigued by the line on lastminutetravel.com that said, "Call us for a better rate: 888-591-2799". So I did. And I discovered I was quoted rates that were a few dollars less, sometimes $10 or more less, and the operator was divulging the names of the hotels once we zeroed in on a specific geography. I also joined LMTClub (same organization as lastminutetravel.com) and discovered that the rates on LMTClub were the lowered rates the lastminutetravel.com operator had been giving me but on LMTClub the hotels are listed by name and not blind. So it saved the hassle of calling the number listed on lastminutetravel.com each time I wanted to clarify a candidate hotel.

Finally, my investment in LMTClub paid off in a big way. After all the research of what hotels were being offered at what prices on all these websites, my 1st choice became The Revere. But by then, the price on lastminutetravel.com had gone up by $15 a night (I was booking for 7 nights) but the old low price was listed as "On Request" on LMTClub. So I requested it and after about 12 hours got an email that the reservation was accepted. So if I hadn't joined LMTClub I would have, in my case, gone with a decent price (I think) at the Marriott Copley ($98) which would have been okay but is not my favorite hotel. But for more or less the same price ($101) I got The Revere thanks to having taken the membership at LMTClub, which now after my first usage of it has paid itself back plus more.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 15:50