We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

United States
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

I've been looking at this forum in anticipation of a visit next summer. Hopefully, I will be able to narrow down a location in which to stay. There will be 5 of us, so a hotel will be tough to work without getting two rooms, and some don't seem to offer adjoining rooms anyway. If we get a vacation rental, in order to do all the touristy places without too far of travel on the T, what areas will be most acceptable? I understand being near a T stop is important, regardless of the location. Any specific rental suggestions would be appreciated, also. Thanks.

United States
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

Thank you for those suggestions, Christnp, the Beacon Hill one looks nice. (No to the boat, but I'm sure it would be interesting). I had not thought about a Residence Inn because I'm not familiar with what is too far out, etc. I will definitely consider that also. I really appreciate the time people are taking to help.

United States
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

Actually that Beacon Hill one is rented during the time I need. It may be the same place someone suggested earlier and I've gotten so confused, I forgot I had found it booked. I know the 3 bedroom part is a big problem. I've also found that even when they say it sleeps 5, there is still only one bathroom. 5 women getting ready with only 1 bathroom . . . will be interesting!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,449 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

The RI is a great idea because their 2 bedroom suites have 2 bathrooms. However, each bedroom usually has only 1 bed (queen or king), so you all would gave to be OK with that, and then a sofa bed in the living room. But, they have a great hot free breakfast and each unit had a full kitchen too, which is a plus.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 17:23
Boston...
Level Contributor
419 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

Have you looked at any hotels that can accommodate in addition to rentals? I grew up in a family at 5, and we would stay at Residence Inns or similar hotels because there would be two bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen and living area and free breakfast which was nice.

There's also a Residence Inn in Charlestown on the freedom trail-- about a 10 minute walk to North Station and a few minutes from the USS Constitution. May be worth checking out in addition to the others mentioned. Other hotels like the Sheraton Boston have 2-bedroom suites if you don't want to stay in adjourning rooms.

United States
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

Okay, because I know nothing about Boston, I have a question regarding the possibility of staying at a Residence Inn. Of the 3 mentioned already, which would be the best choice, location wise? Also, is one or more real old, while one might be newer and possibly cleaner? Thanks.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,449 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

The RI at Fenway and the RI Downtown/ Seaport are brand new. The RI in Cambridge and the one on Tudor Whaef are older.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

What would make the best location for you? None are really in the heart of Downtown.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

None of the locations are super ideal, but they are workable and are reasonably close where most tourists want to be. It's a trade off. Each location has its plusses and minuses They definitely meet your criteria for "without too far of travel on the T"

Using google maps may help. Zoom in to the hotel, look at restaurants nearby (type restaurants in the search box), get public transit directions to somewhere so you can see how long the walk is to the T (click the train icon in the directions section). Read TA reviews. People will talk about the location.

I'll also suggest stepping back for a minute and consider whether it's really that essential to have 3 bedrooms and 2 baths all connected. It's GREATLY limiting your options.

We haven't talked about budget or your exact dates. This may be a very important factor. It could be that all of these suggestions are out of reach for hotel prices and you may be looking at staying further out.

One last note -- to further complicate things :-) It's possible that there may be more vacation rental homes listed closer to summer. Lots of students leave for the summer and try to sublet their apartments. I can imagine that quite a few might do shorter AirBnB arrangements as well (it's not easy to sublet for the entire summer), but I don't know for sure. Also other people take long summer vacations, or go live in their beach house, etc. They might put their city home up for vacation rental.

United States
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

Oh my, lots to think about. Thank you everyone!

30. Re: Vacation rental areas close enough to attactions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:17