We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sparesuite.com

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
102 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
sparesuite.com

Just wondering if anyone has used this site to book accommodation? I am interested in the place at Canal St but payment has to be made in full at time of booking and no refund under any circumstances-seems a bit harsh! Otherwise is the building location any good for a 7 night stay as a tourist? North End Station is apparently in the same building so figuring transport will be nice and easy-but noise??? Finding it hard to find nice accommodation at reasonable price (max $200/ night, less would be good!!!) Is 7 days in Boston too much????

We will be coming from NY and have 7 days till our flight to UK so could maybe do a few nights Cape Cod???Dates are 16th-23rd June BTW. Any suggestions welcomed.....

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,511 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: sparesuite.com

What "place" are you referring to on Canal Street?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sparesuite.com

I wouldn't pay the total upfront with no possibility of a refund. There are places in Boston for under $200 per night including the Oasis Guest House which is in a great location and gets good reviews here on TA. The Hotel 140 on Clarendon St (again, good location) is showing $180.00 per night for your dates. I think splitting your time between the Cape & Boston sounds like a fine idea.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
102 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sparesuite.com

If you look on the site www.sparesuite.com they have an apartment on Canal St......

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sparesuite.com

I looked. I recocnize the building. It is on the corner of Canal & causewAy not in North Station. They say they have an ENTRANCE to North Station You don't need to worry about train noise. The location is good but I know nothing about the company.

As for the Cape .... that sounds like a good plan.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,239 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sparesuite.com

I've never heard of this company nor ever seen it mentioned here. A quick Google search brings up their website plus several listings of their units on booking.com. However, when I click on " see all reviews" on the booking.com listing, there have been no reviews left yet. If they are legit, they must be new. The requirement to pay the full amount up front with no refund possible would cause me not to book. What if you were sick and couldn't travel? That would be over $1,000 lost. Please do more research with this company first. Also, how do they want you to pay? If it is bank or wire transfer only, don't do it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sparesuite.com

I've never heard of the company either.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sparesuite.com

I would book through another site like expedia, something well known. I also don't think that location is ideal. You could find much better.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sparesuite.com

I've never heard of the company either. There is something about their website that seems a bit off to me. In one place they say a unit is in Longwood Towers, then in the write-up it's obvious it's in Longfellow Place. It's Hynes in one place and Hines in the other.

It's a lot to pay everything at once, though I've paid in full for a rental a month before arrival.

But I've never seen such an obsession with describing their cleaning techniques (sheets are "locally" laundered in bleach), and I've never seen someone say that they need the names of all the occupants to make sure they're not criminals or child molesters. Their website says a 3-night minimum, which is reasonable but on VRBO, it says 1 night.

If you pursue the unit, make sure you do not wire money to them.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sparesuite.com

While these folks are a "company" in the strict sense, the company appears to be a couple who are renting out their properties themselves. Nothing wrong with that, but the likelihood that someone else is familiar with them is understandably slim (unlike VRBO or Homeaway). I think they are legit. The website registration is two years old and the fellow you contact on the site is listed as the owner... BUT, I agree that full payment without recourse is way too strict. I'm a vacation rental owner and my terms would be 50% on signing and the balance 30 days prior. Before 30 days, you'd get a full refund, after, I would only give you a refund if I got another guest to cover the lost revenue.

There are trip cancellation insurance policies that can help reduce your exposure, but I think I'd be looking for another place -- and only book with this guy if you much closer to your travel dates and feel better about making that payment.

LMM

Edited: 14 November 2013, 18:13
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
102 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sparesuite.com

Thanks everyone... I do think they are legit-just wanted to check on how previous renters had found them as owner operators. I can't get past their booking/cancellation policy though which has been reinforced by you all so for me its a no go. I just got a response to my query re the unit via homeaway.com so I may just ask why their policies are so tough! Especially as they make a point of saying that they themselves are travellers....

I have looked at Hotel 140 ( thanks Kendrick) and that seems OK So maybe 4 days there and 3 days at the Cape....Cheers!