We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

So I will be taking regular Amtrak train the "Northeast Regional" coach seats from Boston to NYC. My train leaves at 11:05 AM.

1. What is the recommended time to reach South Station? There will be 2 of us with 4 luggage and I am pretty sure there is no checked baggage available.

2. Any preferred seating area? I read somewhere in the forum that I should sit at left side of the train.

Thanks a lot! Cheeerrsss

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

Assuming you already have your tickets printed and are ready to go, I've showed up 30 minutes before departure time and that's plenty of time.

You can get help with your luggage from a Red Cap at South Station if you'd like. Give them a tip if you use them (there are posts on here you can search for about tipping). The no checked baggage only means you don't check in luggage at a counter like when you're boarding an airplane. There will be plenty of room at the end of each train car to leave your luggage and the overhead bins are larger than airplanes. You will not have any problem with 2 pieces of luggage each.

Left side has good views of the water, I think it's the better option for someone on their first trip down. Shortly before getting to New York there are good views out the right side of the Manhattan skyline but other than that view there's not a lot to see out the right side on the way to New York.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
994 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

South Station is not a bad place to wait for half an hour. If you have your tickets already you can arrive much closer to train departure, but don't cut it too close. Generally, you can board the train 10 minutes or so before departure. You might want to get on as soon as the boarding announcement is made to insure you get the seats you want.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

I typically get there pretty early, for the reason wbp notes---South Station isn't a bad place to wait. I typically use the time to visit the restroom, purchase food, etc. I hate rushing last minute, so I will arrive at least 30 minutes before my train boards. I'd rather wait a bit than be rushing or find myself at the end of the line.

Agree also re: the left side. Nice seaside views in Mystic. Last time, we picked the right side and got a nice view of Manhattan as we neared it. No bad seats, really.

Don't worry about luggage storage. Overhead bins are huge. If your cases don't fit, the porter will relocate them, but most normal sized suitcases (carryon or a little larger) fit just fine.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

In some cars half the seats face forward and the other half face backwards. In a car like this if you sit in the last rear facing seat or th first forward facing ones there is a gap behind the seats where luggage can be tucked in if it is not too big c

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

thanks for all your tips!

I had nothing better to do so I arrived one hour earlier and glad I did. South Station has quite a variety of food to choose! Dunkin donuts, McDonald, Deli, Auntie Annes, Cajun style, Pizza, China Wok, just to name a few. I opted of course for Boston's very own Dunkin Donuts!!!

I am two hours into my journey to NYC and yup, I see more water on the left side. But the train is so empty that I can just hop left and right anyway to get the best of both worlds. But yes, if you have to pick one on BOS-NYC leg, do pick the left side.

If you are thinking of taking Amtrak coach or business, well, take coach class. It's big and spacious enough and has power source, wifi, and a place to put your laptop. Don't spend double the money for business. But if you are rich anyway and want the extra comfort, why not :) There are plenty of luggage space indeed even in the coach class.

The only mistake I made was probably taking a taxi (again!) from Revere Hotel to South Station. The hotel people told me to just walk it but I didn't feel like dragging 4 luggage. As I sat on the taxi and told the driver my destination, he told me I should have just walked, it's sometimes faster than taking a cab. What a nice guy. In the end, yeah we kinda got stuck in a bit of traffic and 2 roads were closed down so we had to make a detour through a short highway-like route. All I can say is, I have no luck with taxis in Boston! hahahaha...

PS: I am seriously surprised to see Dunkin Donuts in every corner of the street in Boston. And I must say, the Boston Creme donut with the Sea Salt Caramel Hot Chocolate are a great combo!!! Can't get enough of them. It's amazing how Dunkin donuts can't survive in Indonesia. It is closing down one after another and I don't think there is much left. Then again, in Indonesia we have our very own JCO donuts. Krispy Kreme tried to fight but well, they lose quite badly. So yeah, please remember to try JCO if you ever go to Indonesia :)

Cheersssss and thanks for all the helps!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,871 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

Well one reason you see a lot of Dunkin Donuts is that the headquarters is here in Randolph about 20 minutes from downtown Boston, glad you had a great trip on Amtrak yes coach is cheap if you purchase tickets 14 days in advance a one way ticket is 49.00 its really a great ride and its always cheaper to purchase food in South Station because its cheaper than buying food on the train.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

Krispy Kream failed in Boston, too

Boston...
Level Contributor
530 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

This is my experience from Acela- and it may be the same for metroliner service. I like to sit in the middle of the car. People sitting near the end of each car my be disturbed by passengers to and from the dining car.

During my last visit to NYC there was a Krispy Kreme inside Penn Station.

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

Yes, please do sit in the MIDDLE of the car. The ticket-checker comes in every now and then from the front or back and could disturb your nap :)

York
Level Contributor
84 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips on Amtrak train from BOS-NYC

It is usually good to get to South Station early and have a red cap help you with your luggage. They usually start to pre-board the train way before the general boarding call.