We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary for 6 nights for Boston or surrounding places.

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
itinerary for 6 nights for Boston or surrounding places.

hi my husband and I will be making our first trip to East coast of usa next Sept (2014).

We are planning to train from NYC on the 09/06/2014 and will have 6 nights to spend around Boston.

I have been reading many post and comments on the tripadvisor and found them very very informative and fun to read. My problem is , everywhere sounds so good and exciting , I do not know how to plan!!

initially, I thought we could see some fall colours but I after reading, I think we are too early? We will be heading to Canada after boston. Hopefully there will be some good colours there.

My question is, should we just stay put in Boston for the whole time and make day trips or should we stay for 3 nights and spend another 3 nights somewhere else? we were thinking of Cape Cod.

sorry, long winded and clueless !

any help is much appreciated. thanks

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,696 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary for 6 nights for Boston or surrounding places.

Early September is a lovely time to visit Cape Cod. Doing that for 3 days then Boston would be a fine idea.

You would need a car to visit Cape Cod. The one exception would be if you wanted to spend a couple of nights in Provincetown (at the end of Cape Cod). That's a fun spot to visit. There are ferries from Boston to Provincetown and you can enjoy time there without a car.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary for 6 nights for Boston or surrounding places.

Thank you so much for such a quick reply.

We do intend to pick up car in Boston. At the moment, thinking of arriving Boston on the 09/06, stay 3 nights somewhere ( yet to decide ) then rent a car and drive to Cape Cod. We are mainly sightseeing and not planning to spend time on the beach (swimming). Any suggestions where to stay for the 3 nights?

After Cape Cod, it is back to Boston to maybe take an afternoon flight to either Toronto of Buffalo.

Thanks. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary for 6 nights for Boston or surrounding places.

You may want to do some research on "things to do" on the cape. I always suggest people stay mid cape so that they can travel everywhere easily and nothing is "too far." You should definitely check out provincetown. It's a fun place to visit, lots of stores, whale watches, restaurants, beaches, etc. On your way there or back you can visit the winery in Truro for a wine tasting and tour. You may want to do a trip to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket one day.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary for 6 nights for Boston or surrounding places.

Yes, your idea sounds fine! 3 nights in Boston, then 3 nights somewhere on Cape Cod. I agree with the post above, stay "mid Cape" for maximum flexibility while you are there. If you stayed in, for example, Chatham, you could take a day trip up to Provincetown and if it's not weekend traffic, I think the drive is 1.5 hours. Approximately. Chatham is a beautiful town with a lot of coastline. That might be a good place to begin searching, just to see if it strikes your fancy and works out with your budget. When you say September, do you intend to come after the Labor Day weekend? That is a huge holiday here and until it's over, the prices are still at summer peak. Also there is a lot of traffic. Next year it looks like it might be early, on Monday September 1st??? that is helpful, if I am right.

If you wish, you could stop to look at Plymouth on your way down to Cape Cod -- pilgrims and all that.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary for 6 nights for Boston or surrounding places.

Will be in Boston from the 09/06 for 3 nights, then Cape Cod for the next 3 nights. Any good fishing around the area? Husband is a keen fisherman! Not deep sea too, ironically , he gets bad seasickness...ha ha, so, on firmer grounds??

Thanks.

6. Re: itinerary for 6 nights for Boston or surrounding places.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:16