We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

My husband and I will be visiting Boston in mid-May. We are looking for a hotel or inn to book for 8-10 days. I would love to be near the water, but that's not a requirement. We are 'busy' vacationers, usually up and running to see everything we can see. We really just need a place to shower and sleep (with wifi), but we want it to be clean and in a safe neighborhood. We would love to keep it around $100, + or -, and with walking distance to either the T or the bus. We want to be as close to the city as possible, but easy access to public transportation would help that. This will be a driving vacation for us, so we will have our car, but we'll use the T when we go into the city. Our main interests are the history sites and museums (not art museums), the aquarium, and we plan to take in a baseball game while we're there. We aren't big shoppers, other than souvenirs/bookstores. Do any of you have any suggestions as far as a specific hotel or inn? Any information on what neighborhoods to avoid would be great as well. Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

Hotels in May are very expensive because it is college graduation season. Since you will have a car, you should plan on staying outside the city but driving to a subway station where you will pay $5-$8 per day to park. Commuter rail will also get you to the city but depending where you are it could be $12+ per person round trip plus parking and the trains run less frequently than subway

This is the only way you MIGHT come close to your budget. $100 isn't realistic for that time of year for anything close to the city or walkable to transportation

Happy Planning!

Edited: 01 January 2014, 04:25
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

I thought I read that the college graduations were in June, so that's why we planned for mid-May. Any specific places you would suggest staying outside of Boston? I looked on a few different websites and found places in Braintree, Wakefield, and Weymouth, I believe. Are these good areas? Any idea if they are close to public transportation? Also, does the T have anything like a 7-day pass that would work for tourists like us who want to go in and out of the city each day? We did that when we went to DC and stayed in Falls Church, so that worked perfectly for us.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

Forgot to say ... Check out the cities of Woburn, Saugus, Peabody and Danvers for basic highway chain hotels.

Also, if you don't mind sharing a bath, look at Harrington Bed and Breakfast in Winthrop ... A penninsula near the airport. it is near water and a beach. Also in Winthrop is the Inn at Crystal Cove and Suburban Extended Stay.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

Only MIT graduates in early June. Rest are in May with the busiest time (most expensive hotels) being the weekend before Memorial Day. Here is the schedule thanks to regular poster Penny of BostonZest. bostonzest.com/2013/11/boston-area-commencem…

All those towns will work. There is a subway stop in Braintree. Yes, the T sells a 7 day pass that is good on subway, ferry between Long Wharf and Charlestown and zone 1a on commuter rail

If you stay in Wakefield I would suggest driving to the subway ... Wellington station in Medford. Wakefield commuter rail is zone 2 or $6/person one way. There are no weekly passes for commuter rail. An unlimited zone 2 monthly pass is over $175 per person

Also, you may want to split your stay ... Boston and elsewhere. There are bargains to be had in Cape Cod before Memorial Day

Edited: 01 January 2014, 05:31
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

You don't want to stay in Weymouth. There's a motel 6, but the closest commuter rail stop is Weymouth Landing. You have to pay to park and then pay probably $7 or so each person each way. The schedule is limited. You can find the commuter rail schedule at www.mbta.com. It's the green bush line.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

Sorry its a Super 8 not Motel 6. Still wouldn't stay there.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

Thank you so much for all this great information. I have actually looked at the Inn at Crystal Cove in Winthrop, and that sounds like it would work great. What type of public transportation would be best from there? I believe I read somewhere that it's a short walk to public transportation, but I don't recall if it was a subway stop (which I would prefer since we would be buying a pass for the week). If we have to pay to park and pay to ride commuter rail or bus, then we could stay closer and just add that cost into the cost of the hotel and still be about the same, budget-wise. Do the hotels inside Boston have free parking, or do they charge? When we went to Chicago last year, it cost an additional $30 each day to park our car in the hotel's parking garage. I'd like to avoid that if I can...we could turn that cost savings into an additional night in the hotel. We're very excited about seeing your city.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

From any point in Winthrop there is a bus to the Orient Heights stop of the subway's blue line. The bus costs $1.50 per ride and is not covered by the weekly pass. You can drive to the station and park for $5.

The bus is Not officially part of the MBTA and will not come up on their trip planner. But the schedule is pn the mbta site. It is bus route 713. Here is the schedule. mbta.com/uploadedFiles/…712713.pdf

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

Hotel parking in Boston averages over $40 a night.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visting Boston in May for 8-10 days

I Don't think Crystal Cove charges to park, but then, it is not in Boston