We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Ski Trip

Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Weekend Ski Trip

Hello. We are 2 couples (late 20s) heading to Boston for a quick weekend getaway. We'd like to stay in Boston and spend the day Saturday skiing at Blue Hills. I understand it may not be the best ski place in the Northeast, but we're amateurs from South Florida just looking for a quick snow fix and Boston is the most convenient since we are flying JetBlue.

Any recommendations for hotels? None of us have ever been to Boston so we have no idea what area to stay in. We'd like to stay somewhere where we can walk to restaurants and bars, maybe Faneuil Hall or someplace with shops, and possibly somewhere we can ice skate. Since we'll only be there for the weekend, we're going to have to skip most of the tourist attractions. We'd like to stay under $150/night.

My next concern is transportation. It appears that Boston has good public transportation similar to NYC, and parking at hotels is very expensive. Can we get to Blue Hills via public transportation or do we need to rent a car? If so, that would factor into our hotel choice.

Thanks in advance for all help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Ski Trip

I'm going to start this by saying I know absolutely nothing about skiing. The Blue Hills ski area is in Milton, MA. My advice to you would be to stay in Braintree, someplace like the Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree (which used to be the Sheraton). Rent a car, go skiing. If you want to travel into Boston you can take the T and leave the car at the hotel, or you could drive into the city and park at one of the garages. The weekend rates can be much cheaper than the weekday rates.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Ski Trip

Do you already have your plane tickets? When exactly do you arrive and depart? I don't know if I would recommend skiing if you're arriving Friday night and departing Sunday night.

Although it is farther away, you would be better off taking the ski train to Wachusett:

https://www.wachusett.com/default.aspx…

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Ski Trip

Wachusett would be great. Didn't know about the train. Good deal. Good place to learn.

Not so sure about the convenience of Jet Blue considering that they suspended service this week because of the weather and have stranded hundreds if not thousands in Boston. Your weekend could turn into a week!

Edited: 08 January 2014, 06:17
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,408 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend Ski Trip

You can get to the Blue Hills ski area by public transport, but it would involve a change of trains and a bus. If there are 4 of you, I would just rent a car for the day for convenience and share the cost. That said, the ski train to Wachusett looks great!

5. Re: Weekend Ski Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:21