We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Songs with a Boston/New England theme

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Songs with a Boston/New England theme

My 16-year old son, wife and I will be visiting Boston this summer from New Brunswick, Canada. We'll be driving down thru Maine, probably stopping overnight in Portland.

He'd like to make a CD with songs from the region. Any suggestions?

Also going to visit Cape Cod and Martha's. Any tips appreciated!

Thanks.

John

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Songs with a Boston/New England theme

"Dirty Water" by the Standells

"Cape Cod" by Patti Page

"Massachusetts" by the BeeGees

"Charlie on the MTA" by The Kingston Trio

Also, I don't know who sang this or if you can even find a recording--"Southie is My Hometown". It's a song about South Boston (aka "Southie")

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Songs with a Boston/New England theme

SueFee mentioned the first ones that came to mind for me. Here are a couple others:

The Last Resort - by the Eagles (about Providence, RI)

Alice's Restaurant - by Arlo Guthrie

Sweet Baby James - by James Taylor (not so much about New England, but mentions "the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston")

Your's Forever - by John Mellencamp (theme song to "The Perfect Storm)

Westernmass

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Songs with a Boston/New England theme

Those are good ones, Westernmass! I came up with 2 others--

Please Come to Boston by Dave Loggins (although not exclusively about Boston)

South End Incident by The Beacon Street Union (this is really an obscure one from the late 60s! The Beacon Street Union was a local group who had an album and some airplay)

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Songs with a Boston/New England theme

I've got another one!

"Where Everybody Knows Your Name" (theme song to Cheers) - by Gary Portney.

I tried to find out what the theme songs to "The Practice" and "Boston Legal" are but did not have any luck. Did the TV show "Saint Elsewhere" take place in Boston? Another Boston based movie was "Good Will Hunting" with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. Can't remember the music though.

Boy, with this very eclectic mix of music, you might do well to just bring some CD's who's artists got there start in Boston / new England. There are plenty of those!

Westernmass

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Songs with a Boston/New England theme

Yes--St. Elsewhere took place in Boston. I haven't thought about that show in years!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Songs with a Boston/New England theme

I just heard "Charlie on the MTA" just the other day on the radio! It was so fun to sing along to. The Standell's tune is still my absolute fave - even Boston in the mid-80s still had curfews at the all female schools.

As for a New England song, I still love "Moonlight in Vermont".

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Songs with a Boston/New England theme

Yup--- The "frustrated women have to be in by 12 o'clock" was about the BU women in the dorms! By the time I got to BU--way back when--we could come and go as we pleased from the dorms.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Songs with a Boston/New England theme

See if you can find the album "Remember the Wind and the Rain" by Jaime Brockett. Several Boston themed songs on it. But it's pretty old!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Songs with a Boston/New England theme

The Dropkick Murphys did a really fun remake of a very old showtune called "Tessie" to celebrate Boston and the Red Sox. The song was very popular in the very early 1900's and a group of loyal Sox fans used to sing it constantly at games to annoy opponents. Now, they play the new version along with "Dirty Water" after home games.

The Dropkicks also do a great cover of the Boston College fight song, "For Boston" that I'm sure your son would enjoy!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Songs with a Boston/New England theme

What about songs by the band, "Boston"? There big hit started, "We're just another band out of Boston", but I don't remember the name of the song itself.

By the way, I remember the band the "Beacon St. Union". Around the same time there was another Boston band around called "The Ultimate Spinach".