We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got weekend off! Need ideas!

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Just got weekend off! Need ideas!

My wife and I are somewhat new-comers to the area. I moved here from Texas at the end of October. I just found out that I got the weekend off and we are trying to figure out what to do. We live just outside of Boston in the Bedford/Lexington area. My wife and I have one year-old twins and a nanny. I suppose we could leave the babies :\, but that kinda makes me sad. Aaaaanyways, we would like to limit driving to a few hours and are interested in doing something....anything. Some colleagues of mind recommended the cape. I understand the weather is supposed to be nice this weekend and I'm sure the babies would like to waddle around the beach. We like museums, food, and sights. I grew up sailing. We were getting excited about a train but allegedly they are all closed right now. We just don'g know what to do. Any and all suggestions would be great.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got weekend off! Need ideas!

Wow, well the sky is the limit (almost)! I love the Cape at all times of year. It's about a two hour drive to get on to the Cape, and more time if you go far, like Provincetown. One of my favorite towns there is Chatham. It has a lot of coastline, some of it sheltered little beach areas and other parts big and dangerous (and beautiful). The main street is very pretty. It's a great "overall" town on the Cape.

The North Shore of Massachusetts is also super charming. Have you been there yet? I mean the towns like Rockport, Gloucester, Marblehead, Manchester-by-the-Sea (sorry, they insist that that is their name), Newburyport. Then you would have a shorter drive, but really feel you got away. Not sure how many lodgings operate all year around, but some do, I'm sure. Museums? There are some, like the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem. Oh, right now they have a hot exhibit which includes live birds that fly around . . . you probably need to reserve tickets for that.

Southern Maine also would work. Portland has a wonderful art museum and some other museums.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got weekend off! Need ideas!

Newport, RI

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got weekend off! Need ideas!

The one year old twins will do whatever you want to do. Cape Cod, in the middle of winter, is not what I would like to do. You certainly can't let the babies "waddle" in the ocean, no matter where you go. Newport is the one town that is interesting and has a lot open at this time of year.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got weekend off! Need ideas!

There is also Mystic, and Stonington borough, CT. If it rains/snows there is the aquarium to go to. The seaport won't be opening for a couple more weeks but keep it in mind for the future they cater to a lot of kid activities (a lot in the summer). The Pequot Museum and Nautilus museums aren't far away either.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got weekend off! Need ideas!

Portland, Maine is about 2 hours away and if you like food, that is the place to go! A total foodie city. They also have a Children's Museum there. The Old Port is a nice area to walk around with lots of boutiques, restaurants and cafes, but if you have a stroller, might be a bit of a challenge with the cobblestones in places.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got weekend off! Need ideas!

The Cape is pretty quite this time of year but if you're looking to return in the summer, it might be a good time to check things out while there aren't any crowds. i.e explore different towns see what WILL be open in the spring, what beaches you like.

That being said, Newport is alot more compact and perfect for a weekend. A few mansions are open so that could satisfy your museum interests, the weather is supposed to be warmer so the Cliff Walk is doable with a stroller or two. Take the 10 mile drive around Ocean Avene and enjoy the scenery. Shop and eat/drink along Thames Street and the Wharfs. Most restaurants/pubs are family friendly this time of year. I believe the Museum of Yachting is still open this time of year over at Fort Adams. Save the Bay offers seal watching tours out in the harbor and bay.

www.tenmiledrive.com

www.cliffwalk.com

iyrs.edu/MuseumofYachting/…Default.aspx

http://www.savebay.org/seals

and

www.gonewport.com for info about lodging/restaurants/entertainment

7. Re: Just got weekend off! Need ideas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 06:20