We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To do boston or not

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
To do boston or not

Hi,

I'm from Australia and know very little about boston besides the show boston legal. Jokes. Actually wanting to know what things to do in boston for a couple of people in there early 20s. Obviously there's the big city and perhaps Harvard uni would be cool to check out but is it worth going to or would it be better spending more time in New York?

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To do boston or not

Whether it's worth it is really a subjective judgment. Boston is a very young city, with all the colleges and universities. There's lots to do for 20-somethings, but it's not as big as NYC. It's got a different feeling to it. There's a lot of history. It's a walking city, very pretty and compact, with a nice waterfront. You should do some more research and decide if it appeals to you. Look at the list of things to do here on TA and do a google image search for Boston and decide for yourself.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To do boston or not

...the other issue is how much time do you have? If you've got only four days for NYC and that's your primary interest, then no, probably not. If you've got a week or more, then yes, if it appeals to you.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To do boston or not

It is a good place to visit if you are into history, given that the Revolution began in this area. Lots to see, but it is a small city. NYC is much bigger than Boston and more diverse. If nightlife and clubbing is what you are after as a person in their early 20s, then NYC wil have more to offer you.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To do boston or not

If its during the summer then do Boston. In NYC there is an exodus every weekend during the summer to Long Island, Jersey Shore, CT and other points. There is still a crap load of people but many leave. Personally I like NYC better in the colder months.

My family from Europe really enjoy NYC to feel like a tourist, but feel very comfortable and almost at home when in Boston.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To do boston or not

A lot depends on where else you are going on your trip. If you only went to NYC you would get a very slanted view of the United States - it's really unlike any other place I've ever been. If your itinerary includes San Francisco, Seattle, Wyoming, Salt Lake City, New Orleans, and New York it's probably less important that you take time for Boston.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To do boston or not

It depends how much time you have. 4 days or so in NYC would be good. 3 or so in Boston would be good. They are very different. NYC is huge and vibrant. Boston is a more comfortable city and easy to get to know. You get more of a sense of history in Boston. It's often said that Boston has a European feel. It's compact and easy to get around by foot and subway. It's certainly worth a visit. If Harvard is on your list, it's easy to get to on the subway. As far as other things to do, there are lots. It depends on your interests and what time of year you are coming here.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To do boston or not

Boston has lots of students due to the concentration of universities. So nightlife around Cambridge, Kenmore Square, South End, etc., abounds. One issue: the subway closes at a little after midnight...so plan on walking or a taxi for late night.

The tourist parts of the city are very pretty and compact. It has a lot of American History from the Revolutionary War and colonial period. Lots of bars. A very nice Little Italy - there may be a festival if you time it right. The harbor is worth a tour and a whale watch may be interesting. There are many museums if that's what you want as well as music, clubs, etc.

One problem is it's about 4 hours north of NYC and I understand you plan to head south out of DC. You may want to consider taking the 9:30 overnight train from Boston to DC - it arrives about 7AM, but the coach seats are large and comfortable for someone still in their 20s - and it would save a night in a hotel and get you to DC.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To do boston or not

Great advice everyone, thanks. Overall plans is to make our way down the east coast, so New York, DC to Orlando and Miami. I guess if we are in New York and Boston is so close it would be cool to include. So would you suggest flying into Boston and starting there or fly to New York and make our way to boston.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To do boston or not

I would start north ( Boston) and work your way south, to avoid backtracking.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To do boston or not

definitely do an open-jaw ticket if you can, perhaps fly to Boston and return from Miami.